iBooks, AppStore, iTunes...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Krazy Bill, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Purchasing and "consuming" content is getting bloated and messy. I'm lost. :

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Messy is subjective, bloated no. It's just the opposite. On the flip side Apple is responding to the overwhelming criticism that iTunes is bolted and should be about MUSIC (as in iTunes) and other interest should have their own Apps.

3. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

A little more info would be useful... explain how and why you think its bloated and what could be done to improve it.

Personally, I think with iTunes 11 further separating different types of media, and the iBooks app on OS X Maverics removing books from iTunes, Apple is definitely working on making media stores less bloated - and doing it well.

You have to remember that if Apple suddenly got rid of iTunes and replaced it with all separate apps, there would be a massive backlash from regular users who wouldn't know where all their content had gone. Some see it as bloat, others see it as having all their content in one place.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

iBooks - Books
    App Store - Apps
    iTunes - Music

Yeah, it's getting pretty tough.

5. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Audio Books are music? :eek: And Movies too?

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Audio and video are sold in iTunes. I know this is very shocking. Have a sit down, it'll be ok.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple may (or may not) make an iMoves App and move or make an audio books App in the future. First you were complaining that Apple was splitting up the content and now you are questioning why they don't segregate it all NOW. Could be that too much to fast (could make you krazy :D) has been judged to be detrimental. It's probably a compromise (as all things are).

Out of curiosity what is the way you would like Apple to handle all the various content?

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I really hope they don't release separate apps for every type of media content. That would be silly. Plus they already have an iMovie app.

iBooks, iTunes and the App Store are fine.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Does installing iBooks move the books out of "Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/Books/" to another location or is it still stored within the iTunes folders?

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As of now (DP6) it is still under iTunes and there is no iBooks (or Books) folder created directly under User.
    [​IMG]

11. Icaras, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I agree. I'm very happy to see iBooks detached from the iTunes app and I think it's a proper way for Apple to ease users in to and to trim away some bloat off of the iTunes app. I think it's more organized keeping iBooks separate.

I do like how Apple has three separate stores right now, but I wonder if there could be room for yet one more store? I know a lot of folks who are still pretty oblivious to the fact that TV shows and movies can be bought and rented in the iTunes store.

What if Apple were to branch off a fourth store for movies and TV shows and aptly named it so (for example, iVideo, iFlix, or something proper. You get the idea :D). Although I'm not sure where podcasts or iTunes U content would go as podcasts exist in both audio and video.

But anyway, a separate video only store could perhaps give Apple more direct leverage against the likes of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video. Or then again, it could also diminish the iTunes brand power as well.

I personally wouldn't mind separate apps for each media type. It makes sense to me if Apple's intention is to get OS X and iOS as close to each other as possible and it may actually prove to be more organized than having it all stuffed into one app. Having larger colorful apps sitting on your dock at all times that represent these media types might be more attentive than having to constantly orient yourself between the store window and the library window within iTunes 11, and then having to go through a somewhat inconspicuously located drop down menu to find the media type you were looking for. Apple could make it even more slick and seamless by giving these individual media apps on the dock a fan or grid popup when you click on them, showing your content on the fly just like how the Downloads folder does. :cool:

As for the iMovies app, I'm not sure how that counts as it's intended for basic user created video content and not for consuming your purchased movies or TV shows. The iTunes app does that.

12. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

They need to make it so each store is inside their respective apps.

on iOS, if you go to iBooks and click store the App "spins" round to reveal the store.

The same should happen for Music and Videos apps too, and likewise on OSX.

They should strip iTunes down to its bare essentials and rename it Music. Give it the built in "iTunes" store.

QuickTime should be renamed Videos and have a built in store for TV and Movies.

iBooks should then have a built in store for Books, AudioBooks and Magazines.

Device Management should be a new app, aptly named Devices or something which focuses on your iOS device and has the ability to sync music, videos, photos etc from their respective desktop apps to the device. Here you will also find a sub store for iOS apps.

Done. OSX fixed and brought up to date for the modern world.

Also, these apps should store their downloaded content in the relative folders under home directory! Music app would store music in the Music folder, Videos would store them in the Videos folder!

13. rayhigh macrumors member

Yeah, because the most important thing about an OS is being able to buy things I get for free elsewhere.

14. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Finally. Somebody “get’s it”.

15. acosmichippo macrumors regular

I like this strategy, but don't see it happening any time soon. Maybe OS 11...

16. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Woohoo! I accidentally found where iBooks is moving ebooks to!

/Users/kar98/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books

17. Icaras, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

That's the system I was attempting to elaborate, but just not as effectively short as Fox McCloud's explanation. :eek:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm all for individual apps for specific media types like iOS. And having respective stores within those apps, as McCloud also mentioned, is something also I think makes clear sense.

The only thing I disagree with you here is renaming iTunes to "Music". Considering how powerful that brand name is and just how long it's been around (10 years+), I would rather see the music app go, and be replaced and integrated with the iTunes app. In other words, the music app becomes the iTunes app, with full user music library playback functionality.

I mean, you didn't suggest dropping the the iBooks name and brand to become simply "Books", right? Likewise, i don't think Apple should ever drop the name iTunes. So iBooks should be for consuming and buying books, iTunes for consuming and buying music and audio books, App store for buying apps, and as I suggested in my previous post, if Apple wanted to, create a separate app/store called iVideo, iFlix, or something with the "i" prefix for the sake of uniformity in their store eco system, for consuming and buying TV shows and movies.

But yea, I'd love to see this implemented in OS X eventually. Sooner rather than later I hope!

18. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Ditto here. Which is why I didn't elaborate when I started the thread because the "consumption" apps are so mangled with "purchase" options it's a mess. Apple has painted themselves into a corner with certain naming conventions over the years and it's time to rethink and rebuild how to access consumption and content apps.

The problem you run into when splitting all these media categories into separate ones is some might belong on one or both. To me, an audio book belongs in iBooks because it's technically a book... to others it might belong in an "audio" category like iTunes. In iOS6 my iBook icon is next to the Music icon. To this my brain hesitates every time I press the "music" button to listen to a "book". :)

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Agreed. I have a feeling though that change will be gradual.

Ah, good point. I didn't stop to think about the "books" part in audio books :eek: I think I agree with you on that one. Makes sense now that you mention it. Wonder if Apple would merge that category into iBooks some day. Well, if anything, you should definitely submit that suggestion to the product feedback form at Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/feedback/). I was just going to submit the suggestion of an all-in-one iTunes music app and the separate video store myself.