iBooks are not syncing from iPad into iTunes - ideas?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by micsaund, Jun 12, 2010.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hi all,

I've downloaded a couple of the (currently) free Tor short stories on the iPad. Of course, I also have the Winnie the Pooh default book.

Anyway, these books do not seem to be syncing when I connect the iPad to my MBP.

I can purchase apps on the iPad and they sync fine.

Podcast played/unplayed/bookmarks sync fine.

Everything syncs fine, except the ebooks.

I dropped to a commandline to see if I was just not seeing them, and did a "find / -name \*.epub" and that did not return any of the books on the iPad. As far as I can tell, none of the books (including Pooh) are present on my computer.

I do have some audio books in iTunes, and those show-up in the interface as they always have, but I want my ebooks to sync/backup also :confused:

Any ideas why they aren't, when everything else works just fine?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

Hmm

Maybe the epub book is corrupt?

Im having trouble with 3 books , cant get the front artwork to show up. Everything else is fine but its weird.

3. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

I suppose that's possible, but I've got the four Tor free short stories which were downloaded from the iBook Store, the built-in Pooh, and then some epubs I loaded manually via iTunes (dragged them onto the iPad on the left side). Unless one of those is bad and it's preventing all of them from syncing, I would find it hard to believe that all are corrupt.

4. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

Did you see

Did the ipad say sync in progress when you drag over to it in Itunes? Make sure ibooks is closed.
    Your issue is pretty strange.

5. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Yeah, I was able to put the epubs onto the iPad without issue. They sync immediately. Even when I added a cover art to one (cmd-I on the file on the iPad itself) it syncs instantly, but only in that direction.

It is puzzling...

6. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

On the iPad, I just deleted all ebooks except the included Pooh book. Hit Sync. Still no luck :(

EDIT: I also just completed a "Restore" which erased all the ebooks, even though I selected to restore the iPad, so it's 100% sure the ebooks are NOT being backed-up on my MBP. I had to re-download the Tor free short stories from the Store.

And, even after the restore, there's no backup in my iTunes.

I can't say I've ever had trouble with buying a physical book and having it disappear beyond my control like this. If Apple / et all want me to buy books this way, they need to fix crap like this. Until I know that when I spend my money, it's effectively permanent like a physical book is, I will not be spending on ebooks. This on-going situation I'm having just demonstrates the problems I'm concerned about.

Mike

7. almograve macrumors newbie

I'm facing the exact same issue. All books were converted with Calibre in the right iPad format. All books are showing perfectly in iTunes. Yes, I did select all books for be synced.
    However no way to have them synchronized on the iPad and I have no idea why....

8. ChaoticSun macrumors newbie

Solution Found

I have an iPhone 4 and had the same problem. Then I discovered the extremely unintuitive solution...

I am running in a Windows environment, so it may be slightly different on a Mac, but for me, with the iPhone attached, I clicked on File->Transfer Purchases from iPhone. When I looked in the Library->Books folder, the books were there.
    :confused:

9. podrunner7 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem today! I added two epub formatted books to itunes, connected ipad and proceeded to sync as usual. Both new books selected, but they were not in my ibooks shelf in the ipad. Have tried "sync all", as well, but this was also in vain. Would appreciate any help/tips...thank you!