iBooks books/documents/highlights gone after iOS8 and restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bhalps, Oct 27, 2014.

1. bhalps macrumors newbie

Hi --

So I downloaded iOS8 and updated my iPhone 4S. For whatever reason I got an error and it required a restore. Thankfully I had made a backup right before.

When I restored and opened iBooks for the first time, I had all of the documents I would have expected. But within a second or two they disappeared!

Poof. The must be in there somewhere, right, since they showed up for a few seconds - there's no ghost in the machine.

It's incredibly infuriating. I had hugely valuable highlights of maybe a dozen books in there. I thought that's what the purpose of a backup was.

Several sort-of-similar threads in other forums have suggested syncing from iTunes on the computer. However, this did not work for me since I managed my books manually on my iPhone and thus do not have copies of the books (let alone the highlights!) on my computer. These books, I should note, were not bought through the iTunes store (they were legally free!).

Any help would be hugely, immensely appreciated! Thanks.

2. bhalps thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The books that you did not purchase you should have backed up onto your computer. I don't think Apple iCloud will save them.

Check your computer or the app that you got them from. i.e. Amazon, some reader website.