Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Is it just my iPad, or does iBooks not integrate with the iPad correctly? When I exit iBooks after uisng it's brightness setting to lower the brightness, the iPad's overall brightness will reflect this change until it's locked and reopened- though the brightness setting in the Settings app remains unchanged. The iPad brightness will return to its brightness setting in the Settings app once you lock and reopen the iPad, but then the brightness setting in iBooks will revert back to it's default setting, starting the whole cycle all over again. Very frustrating.

rugonnagraduate

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Is it just my iPad, or does iBooks not integrate with the iPad correctly? When I exit iBooks after uisng it's brightness setting to lower the brightness, the iPad's overall brightness will reflect this change until it's locked and reopened- though the brightness setting in the Settings app remains unchanged. The iPad brightness will return to its brightness setting in the Settings app once you lock and reopen the iPad, but then the brightness setting in iBooks will revert back to it's default setting, starting the whole cycle all over again. Very frustrating.

I just found the same issue. It is not just you. You would think they would have fixed this by now. :mad:

rugonnagraduate

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Honestly I've never noticed this, but I rarely change the brightness in iBooks.

I just tried this out and cahnging the brightness in iBooks did not affect the screen birghtness for the rest with iPad.

If this brothers you a great deal you should email apple. http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

I have emailed Apple. I just wanted to confirm this with other members. I wonder why yours works correctly and the others do not?

I just confirmed this on the wifeys Ipad also.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well I tried a couple more times and still have my same results, iPad goes back to previous brightness setting.

Do you have auto-brightness turned on in Settings?

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I asked my friend to try this on her 32GB WiFi iPad and she got the same results as I did...

This definitely sounds like a software bug. Makes me wonder how many people are seeing this issue...

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I just found the same issue. It is not just you. You would think they would have fixed this by now. :mad:

I think this problem in particular is OS/framework related, so it may require an OS update.

I can't replicate this issue on my unit. The iBooks brightness setting reverts when the app is closed. Upon opening the app, it also reflects the system settings.

The Kindle app on the other hand retains its brightness setting.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
uhgghhh... and the bug persists on the iPhone in the iBooks app as well. FYI, for those that don't see it, it is not linear, or at least not 1:1. Try this: Lower the brightness setting in iBooks to it's lowest setting. The screen will be so dim it will almost be unreadable. Then click the home button. You will notice that the icons on the springboard seem a little bit dim, but not to the degree you set the brightness of iBooks to. Click the lock screen button to turn the display off, then again to turn it back on, and slide the slider. You should notice that the icons are now a little brighter than when you initially locked the phone. It's slight, but noticeable, and it's not due to the auto-brightness setting- this happens when it's turned off as well. In fact, that's a shortcut method to see this problem, turn auto-brightness off before trying the above.

colinquek

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
same here

running ios 322, 32gb wifi+3G
when I fire up iBooks,my iPad brightness will go all the way up, even after exiting iBooks didn't restore the brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.