iBooks crashing on Mavericks - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedOrchestra, Oct 22, 2013.

1. RedOrchestra Suspended

My iBooks library loaded just fine. Books open BUT when I go to change the font I get the spinning ball. I have to Force Quit to get out.

Anyone else having this problem. Running on late-2012 iMac.

2. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

You are getting further than I am. My books briefly show up. When I choose the book I am currently reading, the book disappears though the app still is running. Weird. Not ready for prime time, I'm afraid.

3. onekerato macrumors regular

Have been using iBooks for Mac for a couple of months as an apple developer. It's usually sluggish, and doesn't sync my EPUBs/annotations (not purchased from iBookstore) via iCloud. It also "lost/erased" a whole book's worth of annotations I'd made on my iPad on an iBookstore-purchased technical book. That hurt.

4. nc-chris macrumors newbie

Similar problems here. Never ran a developer version - installed Mavericks last night. iBooks opens and displays my synced library correctly. When I try to open a purchased iBook, it opens briefly, then disappears. The app is still running. if I go to View -> Full Screen, it will open another desktop and I can see it, but if I try to take it out of full screen mode, the window with the book in it disappears again.

Most times, after doing this a couple of times, the app will crash and ask if I want to reopen. PDFs open fine.

Been very happy with Mavericks so far other than this.

5. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I have found that after my book "disappears" I can go to "window" in the iBooks menu and choose "zoom" and the book will appear (but needs to be resized to read).

6. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

As of this morning the problem has resolved itself.

7. Xylian macrumors member

The same happens to me... it launches and when I click on an EPUB book in my library, it opens up and disappears.. if I go into Mission Control I can see it but if I click on it, it does not appear. Buggy app, hope they update it soon.

8. WongGendheng macrumors newbie

Workaround

Your problem:
    Your books disappear after you have opened them and you can see them in mission control

The workaround:
    Go to system settings --> monitor and choose for the option to choose your own resolution. Switch to any other resolution than the current, and then switch back.
    You will be able to read your books until you restart the app. I know its not convenient, but its something.

Greetings