iBooks display problem - is it only me?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by vega07, Jul 29, 2011.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

Can someone with a jailbroken iPad verify that is problem is indeed caused by a jailbroken iPad?

Download a colored book for free like "First Fun ABC." Flip through the pages (20 pages or so) and see if it looks like my attached image. I'm thinking it might be a hardware problem if not a jailbreak one.

Thanks!

Some background info: I installed RetinaPad but then deleted it.

[​IMG]

2. jennison macrumors newbie

Same issues on my JB iPad2, no problems on my iPad1 (not JB)... I thought it was just me! Guess it's a JB issue?

3. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, definitely jailbreak issue if you're experiencing it too.

4. trsblader macrumors 6502

My iBooks is displaying correctly on my iPad 2 and it is jailbroken. Are the books in question from the App Store, or did you add them yourself from another source?

5. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

From the iBooks store. Did you download First Fun ABC?

6. falstaffpac macrumors member

falstaffpac

Ive read in excess of 400 pages since jailbroken. No issues on my end (fortunately). I went back to one of my ibooks and flipped through pages rapidly in portrait and landscape mode. I couldnt reproduce the problem you are having.

7. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

It seems like only the full-colored books have this problem for me. Books like the Ugly Duckling with less color and regular-text books are displayed fine. This can't be a hardware problem can it? I really don't want to restore my iPad just to find out...

8. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

jennison, did you or do you have retinapad installed?

what about guys, falstaffpac and trsblader?

9. jennison macrumors newbie

I have retina pad installed. And yes, it seems the books heavy with color/images seem to be causing the problem. They show fine on the iPad1. I deleted winterboard to see if that was the issue (read that somewhere else online) but still having problems.
    I have only installed books purchased (or free) through the iTunes store.

None of my .pdf's are having problems. hmmmmm (I've only ever used Kindle, iBooks is a new venture that I've only tried since JBing so I can't say if it was directly related or not. I've only used iBooks for .pdf)

10. vega07, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I uninstalled RetinaPad thinking hat would solve then issue. But it didn't. If the others didn't install RetinaPad, I hypothesize that RetinaPad is the issue and it leaves something behind even after uninstalling.

11. trsblader macrumors 6502

I have retinapad installed. I don't have any issues at all. pdf, epub, whatever, all mine work and I got them from iTunes as well.

I am willing to bet 99% that it is NOT the jailbreak or the mods. As someone pointed out, they only had issues with full color books/images. Software bug maybe? That's my bet.

The jailbreak is not the problem.

12. buddda macrumors newbie

I had this problem. I don't think its attributed to any certain cydia tweak as I really don't have many, I think it comes from the jailbreak itself. What I did was install installous and I grabbed a previous version of iBooks. It works fine now!

13. timidhermit macrumors regular

Which version of iBooks are you using?

On JBme FAQ site, there is a long thread of iBooks incompatibility with JBme 3.0 for purchased ebooks. The solution appears to be a downgrade to the 1.2.2 version of iBooks. Supposedly, this bug only exists for iPad 2 not iPad 1 jailbroken using other methods.

14. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded 1.2.2 and the problem persists. Man, this is so frustrating.

15. Bigchris, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Bigchris macrumors member

I have this problem as well and i don't have Retinapad installed. I was showing a friend how iBooks works and i pulled up Winnie The Pooh and some of the images didn't render or had a question mark on it. I unistalled the book, then reinstalled it, it helped some, but not alot. Not sure what it is, but it is only on some pages with some images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]