iBooks/eBooks - Anyway to print and/or remove DRM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 3282868, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I have a book I purchased that I want my father to read, but he can't read on the iPad. He's losing his eye sight due to diabetic complications. Is there a way to print a book on a jailbroken iPad?

UPDATE: I found epub2pdf, open source, haven't tried it yet, but I may be able to convert the .epub to .pdf and print. If any one else has any suggestions I'd gladly welcome them. Thanks!

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Apple's DRM hasn't been cracked yet, though others have. I suppose you could possibly screenshot each page and then print them, but that would be painfully slow. And that's leaving out the legal issues, since the license for ebooks specifically prohibits printing them out.

You're really best off getting it in print form, perhaps from the library if you don't wish to pay for it.

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm gonna have to, which I don't mind, it's a great book and I'd rather not "pirate". I've just read a lot about Apple not wanting DRM for books as they have removed DRM for music, and thought perhaps not all books are DRM'ed and/or there was a legal way around it (such as the Apple approved burning of DRM music to a rewritable CD then re-importing the music DRM free from years back).

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Apple might be willing to cooperate on eliminating DRM...the publishers, thus far, are not. **sigh**

The case law around ebook DRM removal is iffy--at this point, no one has been prosecuted for DRM removal for personal use. Lots of detail and discussion over on mobileread.com's forums for those who are interested in ebooks in general. For the most part, in the US, the safest thing to do is presume it's illegal to remove it for personal backup purposes; there are provisions in cases of disability, but they don't really apply in your case, since a print version of the same book is available.