iBooks extracted for Mountain Lion or Windows

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jakimo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Jakimo macrumors 6502

Has anyone seen iBooks running within Mountain Lion? How about for Windows?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Mountain Lion, not going to happen.

Windows ?? Seriously?

3. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure.

Just like iTunes, it needs to eventually be everywhere to compete with Kindle.

----------

I found it odd from the beginning, that iBooks was brought up as part of an OS upgrade - when it's just an iCloud app to reach purchased content.

Content needs to be available on all devices, doesn't that make sense?

4. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Honestly, the fact that this is even a shining feature of the new OS is a joke. I personally don't know one person who reads books on their Mac.

Mavericks could have just as easily been implemented into a few different versions of 10.8

5. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

You're forgetting, most of the real development for the last 2-3 years has been going into what comes AFTER 10.9! You know, in that unmarked building.. :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just because you don't know any means there aren't any. I like to use the kindle app on OSX for reading from time to time. Its a nice option. I and many people are looking forward to this new feature.

----------

ITs not going to happen as the application requires certain APIs and frameworks to be present so ML cannot and will not run iBooks. As for Windows, the same reason why other OSX apps cannot run on windows - its a completely different platform.

The only reason why we see iTunes for windows is because Apple wrote an apple program for windows. You cannot natively run OSX apps in windows and vice versa.

7. randomdude macrumors regular

If that's the case, why isn't iMessage/Messages.app available on Windows or online.

8. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

What you're saying makes sense. I can see why it would be a benefit for Apple to extend iBooks for Windows.....sucks that they are just bringing out for Mac. Should've been there in the first place.

That being said, it's probably about "Trump Cards". Microsoft has their share of Trump Cards that appear to never make it to the Mac. One Note (although I am perfectly fine with Evernote and love it) and some features of Office will never make it to the Mac. Apple has to do the same thing in order to maintain competition. What annoys me about MS using Trump Cards with Office is that we, as Mac users have to pay the same price as the Windows version but the Windows version has more features. The iBooks app is free.
    At this point don't expect to ever be on Windows because iOS has such heavy penetration in the market that Apple doesn't need to entice Windows desktop users as they have when they created iTunes for Windows.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Because it's about trying to persuade you to buy a Mac.;)

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Whats to say they don't release iBooks for Windows. They might do it down the line.

I'm sure iBooks will be on the MAS for Lion and ML. Surely it was bundled into Mavericks so developers could see what it was like and test it out.

The fact that its listed as a feature of Mavericks is pretty laughable.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The fact that it is listed as a feature, pretty much means you'll not see it for any prior version of OSX

13. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Thats a good point actually.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I get lucky once in a while :D

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Students, researchers and scientists read PDF-files and other books everyday on Macs.

16. Bear macrumors G3

Imagine writing a paper for school and being able to have your reference books up on the screen at the same time. It also means they could look at notes they made in the books on an iOS device and copy the notes in to their paper. And jump to bookmarks and such.

Or a person who likes to modify recipes from a cookbook could copy the current recipe into a document and then modify the recipe.

There are many reasons why iBooks on OS X makes sense - remember Think Differently.

17. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

You know what makes more sense at this point? Kindle. :)

18. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I rather have iBooks. Plus it's built in. And there a lot of great animated books (with video as well) that will work from an ios version to Mac easily. Amazon Kindle doesn't have wide selection of this do they?

19. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd rather iBooks too, but they were greedy and lost this race. There is SO much more available in Kindle, all for much better pricing - and it syncs via every kind of smart phone and computer. Notes, highlights - all of it.

Believe me, I know Apple has better presentation.. but that's not always the best thing when it comes to CONTENT.

Netflix isn't as pretty as iTunes, Kindle isn't as pretty as iBooks, Amazon MP3 isn't as smooth as iTunes - but all of these kinds of options are cheaper and in the end give you the CONTENT.

I'd like iBooks to be everywhere, but Apple is going to hog this thing and sink further before they finally open things up (like they had to with iTunes).

I look forward to iBooks loosed everywhere, and this thread was started to see if someone figured out how to pry it from Maverick. Just curious.. I'll end up running Mavericks eventually anyhow...

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personal preference. Since the Kindle is offered on multiple platforms it may be better for you but not everyone.

I prefer iBooks, and I have little need to try to extract iBooks to run on windows (though we've already refuted that is impossible - OSX compiled code cannot run on windows)

I don't see any justification from Apple porting the application over to Windows either, since they're in the business of selling hardware and the more features they offer for the iOS, OSX means more sales for their hardware. Just my $.02

21. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I read pdf's on-screen all the time but never in iBooks. On the MBP Mendeley or Adobe, on iPad Goodreader.

22. Jakimo thread starter macrumors 6502

I used GoodReader for years, but most of my PDF collection is of literal page scans of books from the 17th and 18th century.

I've found PDF Expert to be much faster at rendering page by page.. by a large margin. Just wanted to letcha know, in case that's helpful to you.

23. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Yes that is actually. I mainly read modern scientific pdf's - but some are fromt he 50s 60s 70s and are just scanned images. I sometimes find Goodreader to be slow. I had assumed it was an iPad3 being a little slow thing - but might give PDF Expert a go. Thanks.

24. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

So could have been said about Mountain Lion to Lion, or Lion to Snow Leopard, what's your point? :confused:

Most of the biggest changes to Mavericks are not readily visible and I consider it to be the most major upgrade since Snow Leopard.

It's also the most stable release for me... it's been more stable for me since DP2 than ML was on release.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I can see them releasing iBooks for L & ML for a $1 later on just like they did w/ FaceTime in the Mac App Store, give it time.