iBooks for Mavericks only syncs purchased books?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by zBernie, Oct 23, 2013.

1. zBernie macrumors newbie

Are my findings correct, that iBooks for Mavericks only syncs purchased books? I have been anticipating iBooks on Mavericks for months, thinking I'm going to sync my PDF files between devices. I have menus, recipes, manuals, work related material, etc, all in PDF format. And now I find that none of these will sync at all? At least with iTunes I could copy a PDF to my iTunes library, and then when I synchronized with other devices, the PDF would be copied. Now I can't even do that!

I should have expected as much from Apple. At least with kindle you can download PDF files from the cloud to all of your devices!

2. odin macrumors member

It pulled all of my PDFs that were in iBooks on my phone/pad into the Mac version. It took a little bit though. Be sure you're logged into iCloud on the Mac. If you have tons, maybe it's taking a while if you installed in the last little bit.

----------

Also, it may or may not help to check that you have books synched on one of your devices in iTunes.

3. zBernie thread starter macrumors newbie

iBooks did pull all of my books from iTunes. After which opening iTunes, the "Books" section is gone under Library. But I've found you can still sync PDF's from iTunes to your iPhone and iPad using iTunes, as was the case before iBooks for Mac. Not as automated as a cloud solution for PDF's, but it's something. I was hoping that all of my PDF's would be sync'd to my MacBook Pro as well, but there is no sync between iBooks on the Mac.

4. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I think iTunes still handles all the syncing, and nothing about it seems to have changed. Do you mean the PDFs you had in iTunes didn't show up in iBooks? You could try readding them in iBooks. All the side-loaded EPUBs I had in iTunes moved over to iBooks, so I would think PDFs should still work.

5. odin macrumors member

Was just fooling around a bit. If I add a PDF to ibooks on the Mac, it shows up in iTunes automatically and thus will sync during next synching (if you have all books selected) the next time you do it. This is a great place for automatic synching via the cloud for sure. I'll be making a suggestion for it in a few moments. This app seems more rushed than anticipated.

6. newcronos macrumors regular

I'm experiencing this problem as well (or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing).

In my case, I have a bunch of PDFs and sideloaded converted epubs on iTunes that got converted right away (and gone from iTunes) as soon as I run iBooks on the Mac right after I completed Mavericks installation. I was expecting these to sync over to my iPod, but they never showed up.

After making sure that all the settings in both iBooks (Mac and iPod) are set to sync, I tested by creating a new collection and added a couple of books and a PDF file on the Mac iBooks. Soon after I checked on the iPod and the new collection shows up, but it is empty.

The only thing that shows up is the free Winnie the Pooh book which I believe is always there on any iBooks.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

7. jumpmanpro97 macrumors member

so far my pdfs don't show up either. Also books that I downloaded previews of will not show up.

8. bmouthboyo macrumors member

I am a bit confused so if anyone could help me out that would be great.

I have many PDF that I open in ibooks on my ipad when I read around topics such as recipes, mechanics etc. I would like them to sync seamlessly with my mac ibooks but on the mac side it is only showing my purchases.

I have never really liked itunes so not sure what people are talking about when they say they can see their ibooks there. I had a look and cannot see any thing about my books on either mac or ipad itunes.

I checked my ipad settings and it has sync enabled for ibooks.

Not really sure what is going wrong here. Hardly seamless as Apple love to bang on about.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Does anybody know why after syncing my PDF ebooks within iBooks the actual folders these PDF files were in are now gone. They are in my iBooks library but have empty folders now where'd the actual PDF file go?

10. MsQueen macrumors member

MsQueen

iBooks for Mac doesn't work with iOS 6 Devices

I came to realize that if you have iOS 6 on your devices and you're running Mavericks on your computer, you will no longer be able to sync ebooks/pdfs to your iOS devices because they are trying to pull it from iTunes rather than iBooks.

How I came to this conclusion:

After iBooks for Mac synced my books from iTunes, I deleted one book and manually added that book, so that was the only book that was added directly to iBooks for Mac rather than it being pulled from iTunes. Mind you, all these books are currently on my iPad through iTunes sync.
    Then I synced my iPad and got the error message that the book I added through iBooks did not sync because it couldn't be found.

My guess is if I updated to iOS 7, the book would have synced, but that's not an option, so I can't delete any of my books from my device.

11. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I have 2 mac computers, and it seems that ibooks does not sync PDFs between ibooks. Ive created a special collection/folder which shows up on both however it doesn't sync PDFs that belong to that collection/folder

12. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

planned obsolescence does not make this customer happy.

The Edit button on my old iPad will let me delete the books already on there, but there seems to be no way, other than purchasing thru the App store, to ADD new written content. This makes me glad I do most of my reading on my nexus 7 nowdays.