iBooks on iPad showing some covers, iPhone shows them all???

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by fhall1, Oct 25, 2011.

1. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Here's an odd one....

I have quite a few epub books in iTunes for use with iBooks.

iTunes shows the books in my library with cover art for all books.

Prior to updating to iOS5 on my iPad2, the iBooks app showed all books with their cover art.

After updating the iPad to iOS5, about half my books show cover art and half don't. Of the ones that don't, if you pull them up in iBooks to read them, the "first page" is the cover art.

Odd thing....iBooks on my iPhone4S (running iOS5) shows cover art for all the books!

Last night I tried restarting the iPad, deleted the iBooks app and reinstalled it, made sure iTunes had cover art in the "Get Info" for the books not displaying it, etc. The only thing that worked was to take the epub file and "convert" it to epub using Calibre - then deleting the book from iTunes and then re-importing it to iTunes.....the iPad then synced and showed the book with cover art again.

Anyone else seen this? I hate to have to do this one by one with all the books not showing cover art, but it looks like I may have to.

2. fhall1 thread starter macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'll reply to my own post.....problem solved.

After more searching on the Apple forums, turns out this is an issue affecting many folks since upgrading to iOS5.

Solution for most (not all) that also worked for me was to connect iPad to iTunes, turn off book syncing, then sync the iPad (removes all books from ibooks), then turn book syncing back on and re-sync the iPad. This brought all the books back into iBooks and they all had the proper cover art.