IBooks on IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Is anyone using iBooks or subscribe to a magazine on your iPhone yet? I am holding out on getting an iPad until the next generations. In the meantime, I am condidering getting some books or magazines on my iPhone. I am worried about the small size of the device though.

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Any material you purchase from your iPhone is available on your (future) iPad, so I don't see why you should be so hesitant.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What chembox said is true, and I find the iPhone to be acceptable as a reader
    Maybe not for long sessions, but certainly on those occasions when you have time

4. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not worried about transferring books/magazines to future iPad. I am trying to get peoples opinions on the iPhone as an e-reader.

5. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

It works fine for me. Even with the small screen size, it's simple enough to adjust text size, brightness, etc. if needed and it's a lot more convenient than carrying around books.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It is definitely not optimal as e-reader, due to the....you guessed it, the size, however it is aceptable for short reading, breaks, short airplanes flights and waiting rooms. I use the Kindel app instead of iBooks and I find myself reading pretty often on the iPhone until I get home at night or on the weekend where I keep reading on my ipad.

7. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Why the Kindel app? Better selection? More user friendly?

8. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

It works fine for me, despite its size. I have a Sony e-reader and often prefer my iPhone.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure about the selection since I don't really use iBooks (so I haven't really search their selection), but I manage my Books online, buy stuff I found at work while I am on my computer and when i open my iPad/Phone they are already there, I can read them on my iPad/iPhone but also on my computer with the kindel app. I get a bunch of coupons from Amazon credit card.

I don't think there is any real mayor feature that will put one over the other one, it is pretty much personal choice

10. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

There are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more books on Amazon's kindle than on iBooks. In fact, I really was disgusted by how little of a selection Apple has right now. Nearly every book I search for that isn't insanely popular or a classic, isn't there.

Hell, they don't even have any Chuck Palhinuck books.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I'm disappointed by the lack of copyright free versions of books in the iBook store. There's no reason why they shouldn't be on there

12. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I am more interested in magazines and newspapers. I suppose I would get a book every now and then. My wife has a Nook and I was disappointed in the selection they have. They have a lot of novels, which is good for my wife but I prefer books on business, how to's, etc. Those seem to be slim picking. Magazines were just horrible.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Magazines and Newspaper are on theirs own app (at least right now), not in iBooks. There are rumors or Apple releasing a "New stands" app where Magazines and Newspapers will live and they will enable subscriptions, I guess we have to wait and see

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I read on my iPhone all of the time, a lot more than I actually read on my iPad. Mostly because I can read while I'm on the go, especially at work (shh, don't tell my boss).

I use Stanza, though, because I've been using my phone to read since before the iBooks and Kindle apps came out. It's also easy to transfer the books that have been on my computer to Stanza though wi-fi. I think I tried using iBooks once, and it looked great, but I found actually putting books on Stanza was easier.

As far as using it as an e-reader, it's obviously smaller, but after a while you really do get used to it. And it's so much more convenient than the iPad or a real book for that matter. I find myself reading so much more because of it.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Kindle syncs your purchases & where you left off in those books across multiple platforms - iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, PC, and the physical Kindle itself. That alone makes it the better choice for me.

16. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the responses. I am actually surprised so many are using iPhone as a reader. I am trying out the Zinio app for magazines. So far I am blown away by the selection. AMAZING!

17. megadon macrumors 6502

IMO, Magazines and newspapers should be fine to read on the iPhone as usually they're not super long articles..
    I don't find it comfortable to read a novel on the iphone, thus why I don't even use the ibooks app..
    Personally, when I wanna read a book, I buy the real thing, and when I wanna surf, I use the ipad.

18. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

This thread has inspired me to get Kindle app on my iPad, and I'll post my opinion in a day or so. One question, Is it very difficult to transfer books from iBooks onto the Kindle app? How would I go about doing this?

I only ever bought one novel from iBooks just to test it out, the rest I got for free, and have the physical .epub files. Whereas I don't with my iTunes purchase.

19. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Admittadly, Im no expert. I would expect that you cannot transfer purchases between iBooks to kindle.

I sorta feel like the Hi Def DVD wars (Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD). . . I want to wait to see who wins before I start buying books on one of these platforms.

20. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

So does that mean I can't use existing epub files with Kindle?
    Is there a way to upload my library to Kindle without having to purchase them all through them?

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I didn't know about this Zinio app, its actually pretty great

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You might try using Stanza. There are many formats that you can use with this app. All you have to do is DL the app on your laptop/desktop and you can transfer the books over wi-fi. I use that with all of the e-books I've had since before these apps existed.

There is a program, Calibre, that will also convert into any format you need, which may help loading onto Kindle. Though, admittedly, I've never used the App, so i'm not sure what you would need to do.