iBooks outside the US

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Luke Redpath, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

In case you missed it, iBooks is US-only. I wonder how long until it launches internationally. Will Apple permit other ebook readers like they have with the iPhone? Interesting times...

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Unrelated but can you buy books on iTunes or only the iPad?

3. Luke Redpath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing announced, so who knows.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

EEK if true I did miss that :eek:

One of the only truly compelling reasons for myself justifying purchasing the iPad. It took them an age to get iTunes up and running in Ireland and we still have feck all video content.

This is going to be the deal breaker for me unfortunately. :(:(:(:(

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Apple's site says you can "Just download the [iBooks] app for free from the App Store", and I think he said they're using the ePub format. So presumably you can get ePub books from elsewhere, e.g. www.gutenberg.org ...hopefully...or not.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it is a licensing issue and not a software one.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ The problem is iBooks App will more than likely only be available in the USA iTunes store. Meaning we will not be able to download it from our international iTunes stores at all. If I try and download anything from US iTunes I just get error and redirected to Irish store.

As Appleguy says this is a licensing issue, and they can take FOREVER to get sorted....

9. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Yep, this is a deal breaker for me as well. I have an iphone and macbook already so was looking for a portable e-reader/pdf viewer, held off on getting a kindle to wait for the tablet announcement.

10. kenmarered macrumors newbie

The only thing in its favor is now that Amazon have sorted out international licensing for the Kindle, hopefully there is a template for others to follow. Specifically for the Nook and the iPad (Damn, who'd have thought the Nook is no longer the worst name out there).

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I assume (this should really be hope) that Apple lets users have the iBooks app but lets them find eBooks for themselves until the licensing is sorted out.

12. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Well all I can say is so glad I have a US iTunes account :D but I'd still need to fund it by Gift Cards which I'd rather not buy through eBay :(

I assume that iBooks won't be on the store until the iPad is released right?