IBooks PDF Tranfer Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gghenry62, Nov 5, 2014.

1. gghenry62 macrumors newbie

Has anyone experienced not being able to transfer iBooks from an old iPad 2 to a newer iPad Air 2? I've been on the phone with Apple Tech Support for three days off and on only to resolve that it's not possible to do. iTunes apparently doesn't backup iBooks. That is a serious issue since I have over 800 PDFs saved from over 2 1/2yrs of research. I need help with a workaround for iTunes on a windows pc.

2. Alimar, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I know it may be a pain, but can you email them to yourself? This works for me. That's how I get them to my computer, iPad, iPhone, and back and forth. All are then put in DropBox and backed up on HD.

3. Hrhnick macrumors member

Backup the old iPad to iCloud, restore the iCloud backup onto the new iPad Air.

PDF files and nonpurchased eBooks are backed up to iCloud.

You might need to purchase extra space as iCloud space fills up fast with ebooks and large PDFs.

4. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

If both are on the right iOS, I think you can open them in Adobe Reader App, then Air Drop to the other iPad.

5. gghenry62 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it may be a pain, but can you email them to yourself? This works for me. That's how I get them to my computer, iPad, iPhone, and back and forth. All are then put in DropBox and backed up on HD.

Hi Alimar that is the only resolution that the tech could come up with at the end. There's just too many. I may just have to keep the old iPad just for the PDFs.

----------

I have purchased additional space for my iCloud backup but they didn't transfer over. Don't know why they wouldn't. There isn't a toggle to select iBooks or books in my iCloud settings on the iPads.

----------

When I open the PDFs while in iBooks there isn't an option to open it in PDF. What are the steps you are suggesting to open them in reader?

6. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Still, the long way around... email. I guess it's not possible directly from iBooks to Adobe Reader.

7. gghenry62 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hrhnick this is the one thing I haven't tried. I'm just concerned that if I restore from iCloud everything won't come over like a iTunes restore does. With the exception of iBooks of course. Do all setting restore from iTunes?

----------

Sorry I mean do all settings restore from iCloud?

8. Hrhnick macrumors member

All content should be restored from iCloud except non purchased music and videos, which can then be re synced from iTunes.

The iCloud backup should bring over the PDFs.

There is a difference between being signed into iCloud in the settings to sync, and restoring a device from an iCloud backup when it is first set up.

Since you've already started using the new iPad, make sure you don't have anything important on it. Then, on the new iPad, go into settings, general, reset, erase all content and settings. This will bring the new iPad back to the setup assistant. Then, on the old iPad, do one last iCloud backup manually. Then, back on the new iPad, choose restore from iCloud backup. Make sure you choose the right iPad backup, there might be multiple, so check the time stamps, and which device it says, you might need to click the option for other backup.

Let me know if this resolves the issue.