iBooks question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrei.barbuta, Nov 13, 2010.

1. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

I upgraded from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 recently.
    My problem is that on my 3G I have a book "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" but after I set up my iPhone 4 I can't find it anymore in the iBooks store.
    I find now many more variants of Sherlock Holmes books but not the same one.
    I would really like to send this book to my iPhone 4 to finish reading it. Is there a way to do it?

2. andrei.barbuta thread starter macrumors regular

Found a workaround

You can just download the book from Project Gutenberg and send it to your iPhone/iPad.
    Seems that not all books from Project Gutenberg are on the iBooks Store. As for "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" I don't know why it was pulled. Going to send a ticket to Apple maybe it's a glitch.

3. guywoodman7 macrumors member

The book should also be stored in iTunes on the computer you used to sync your iPhone 3G with. Look under the "Books" section in your itunes library. Make sure it is selected to sync over to your iPhone 4 and you'll be good. This works whether it was pulled from the store or not.

4. andrei.barbuta thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked and it's not there. Other books are but no this one.
    We a little mystery on out hands. :)

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Elementary, my dear barbuta, elementary. :D

I couldn't resist!:D

6. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Is it possible you never synced your iPhone 3G after downloading the book the first time? If this is the case, it may never have transferred to your iTunes collection on your computer.

It's possible it didn't transfer even if you did sync, this happens sometimes, I have no idea why. But to counteract that, just plug in your iPhone to iTunes, right click your iphone (or Control+Click on a mac), and select "Transfer Purchases". This move will ensure that anything that was downloaded on your iPhone, makes it's way into the iTunes library on your computer.

I try and make a habit of syncing my iPhone at least once a week to keep my collection up-to-date. I also like to do the Transfer Purchases move every so often to make sure everything makes it's way into my iTunes library. Just good practice to avoid situations like your own.

I'm glad you found another work around though.

7. andrei.barbuta thread starter macrumors regular

@Tom G. - understandable. :))

@guy... - I sync once a day.

I think that it may have been deleted when I checked the the music syncing button. Until then I was using manual music management.
    This may be the case but there are some books that are still there that were from before, or so I think.