Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Hi,
I am looking for a Reader to read my books from iBooks in Mac OS X. It should be able to open .epub and maybe all other formats.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Alyse

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Kobo (in conjunction with kobobooks.com)

If you follow the following link:
http://kobobooks.com/desktop
you will find an ePub (and several other ebook file types) reader for Mac OSX (which I haven't tried, but looks interesting) - alternatively you can download calibre - @ http://calibre-ebook.com/ a "Library Management" software that is also supports ebook format conversion and "Syncing to e-book reader devices".

Where you might run into problems is if the books are embeded with DRM (digital rights management) protection. Those files may not be accessible from a different platform.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The issue with calibre or the other epub stuff is that anything purchased from apple, i.e., ebooks has DRM so the only way to read them is using an apple application and so far they have no released iBooks for OSX. So in essence you're stuck using an iPAd or iPhone to read iBooks.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
The issue with calibre or the other epub stuff is that anything purchased from apple, i.e., ebooks has DRM so the only way to read them is using an apple application and so far they have no released iBooks for OSX. So in essence you're stuck using an iPAd or iPhone to read iBooks.

Thank you all for the answers.

It's okay to read the ebooks on my iPod touch. Unfortunately I didn't know about the DRM. I should have bought the ebooks on the DRM free site. I will do so in the future, but I hope :apple: will release a Mac OS X version of iBooks soon. I think they want to sell more iPads, but some :apple: users have an iPad, iPod, iMac, Macbook and ... like me. Would be great to read the ebooks on every :apple: device and also in Windows. It would be great they would integrate the Reader into iTunes for Mac OS X and Windows. :rolleyes:

beangibbs

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
iBooks for MacOS?

I know the Apple higher ups have to have given this some thought.
Kindle has an app for tablets and computers.
It would only make sense, especially with iCloud keeping everything synced up and backed up, that iBooks would come to the Mac.
And Siri possibly would see some integration into Lion?
Or is this all too far fetched and too hopeful?
:)

If there are other threads like this, feel free to merge/lock/direct me there. I'm just trying to provoke some thought.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The way Apple has worded the terms and conditions of the iTunes Store (which includes sales of iBooks) they are very careful to mention that the books can't be used on a computer.

It makes you wonder whether they haven't been licencing the books for that sort of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.