iBooks screwed everything up!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Poly, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

Guys i need your help!
    I always bought the epub version of the Game of Thrones book via Amazon and jsut put the books in my iTunes library. As it's my private right i copied the book one time to hand it to my mom.
    Now i wanted to sync a new book with iTunes(have Mavericks since release but never used iBooks for Mac) and iTunes told me it will sync with the iBooks app now. Okay.....so far.

Well first problem was, that i was not able to find where my books are located now and you also can't press "show in finder" in this stupid iBooks app! I did some research and opened the hidden path.

First thing what i did was moving the Documents folder on my external hard drive(don't want my SSD to get bloated by things like these) and create an Alias for the old location. This usually works fine with my iTunes library but here IT DOES NOT WORK -.- iBooks keeps erroring that it can't find the Documents folder.

Well, i put the folder back and iBooks opened again BUT NOW my Game of Thrones books aren't there anymore?! They are in the Documents fodler(with freaking encrypted names) but don't show up in the app.

I also can't find a way to put the books on my iPad now! iTunes doesn't show the books tab anymore.

MY GOD APPLE WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Can someone help me?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I've got a small partition w Snow Leopard on it, and an old (10.6.3?) iTunes that'll let me synch just the Books to my iPad, but it's going to be painful, because doing that erases all the books already on the iPad, including anything downloaded via Apple store on Maverick's.
    It's a bad situation, that shouldn't be happening with hardware that's only 3 years old. It almost seems as if Apple is looking for another lawsuit over their e-books policies.

3. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

You want to tell me that i need an extra partition for a lower OS to do things as i did them before?

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I'd far rather point out a quick and simple way to make things work with the current software.

5. Bear macrumors G3

It's not just what APple did. It's also what you did. Do you have a backup of your system from before you upgraded to Mavericks? Or at least from before you messed with iBooks? If so recover your missing books from there and add them via iBooks.

Also, you'll have to use the more automated syncing features of iTunes to get the books on your iPad - see the attachment.

iBooks and its missing features (metadata editing) and the fact that it force re-downloaded all purchased books, some with bad metadata is one of the reasons I reverted to Mountain Lion.

Attached Files:

6. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn it :(
    I'll just redownload the ebooks and manage them with some third party app. This sucks.

And yes i know the itunes tabs, which you attached. But somehow the Books tab isn't there anymore.

7. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Apparently some people are having success getting the books tab back using this approach: iBooks BANISHED!

8. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

SOunds good.
    Will try that after university today and report back :)

9. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Books can now be used in Itunes again :) Thanks!