iBook's software (OS X and iLife) on iMac ???

jonesymeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
2
0
I recently purchased a new 14 inch iBook, had been waiting until tiger was pre-installed on it. Wondering if it is possible to install tiger and iLife '05 on my 20-inch iMac.
It worked when i installed Panther (from my 2003 iMac's software restore) onto my 2000 iMac, wondering if i can do it somehow now. At the moment it says it cant install tiger on this computer.
I know some may consider it piracy but i am a student and really cant afford to go and buy this software which i already have.
Can anyone suggest a way?
 

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
1,136
0
Massachusetts, Connecticut
jonesymeister said:
I recently purchased a new 14 inch iBook, had been waiting until tiger was pre-installed on it. Wondering if it is possible to install tiger and iLife '05 on my 20-inch iMac.
It worked when i installed Panther (from my 2003 iMac's software restore) onto my 2000 iMac, wondering if i can do it somehow now. At the moment it says it cant install tiger on this computer.
I know some may consider it piracy but i am a student and really cant afford to go and buy this software which i already have.
Can anyone suggest a way?
It's probably not possible. Regardless, as you say, it is in fact illegal. This forum doesn't condone illegal activity, so you're not likely to get a satisfying answer here.

Plus, if you can afford an iBook *and* an iMac, you can either afford Tiger (especially considering the student discount), or simply live with Panther.
 

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,873
219
Harrogate
Whilst you would be breaking your EULA with Apple and thus perhaps the law (I think it's actually a breach of contract, but lets get on with it) you can get the supplied software from some Macs to work on others as long as they are of the same major family. For example I have installed Panther from a 15" PowerBook on an old G3 iBook as they are both "PowerBooks" according to their internal names. That would also explain why the software from one iMac will install on another, but the software from an iBook will not install on an iMac.
 

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,246
334
Phoenix, AZ
Not another one...

For the 900th time, YOU CANNOT USE SOFTWARE LICENSED FOR ONE COMPUTER ON ANOTHER. Even if you can get it to work, it's still illegal.
Are you seriously claiming your are too poor to afford student versions of Tiger and iLife '05? Last time I checked, combined they were right around $110 plus tax. If you could afford TWO COMPUTERS, you can surely afford another 100 bucks or so of software.
And please, don't post on these forums asking how to get around copyrighted stuff. Pirating is illegal and it's against the rules to discuss on this forum.
 

XNine

macrumors 68040
appleretailguy said:
For the 900th time, YOU CANNOT USE SOFTWARE LICENSED FOR ONE COMPUTER ON ANOTHER. Even if you can get it to work, it's still illegal.
Are you seriously claiming your are too poor to afford student versions of Tiger and iLife '05? Last time I checked, combined they were right around $110 plus tax. If you could afford TWO COMPUTERS, you can surely afford another 100 bucks or so of software.
And please, don't post on these forums asking how to get around copyrighted stuff. Pirating is illegal and it's against the rules to discuss on this forum.
Not to mention the fact that taking a disc that came with an imac and putting it in an iBook will fail simply because it's formatted to work. :D
 

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,756
2
That really sucks though. You have 2 computers. You go buy Tiger. You have to buy 2 copies of Tiger, one for each computer? What if you bought a movie and it would only play in sony DVD players. Oh you have a Panasonic DVD player in the family room? well I guess you'll buy another copy then. Isn't it kind of like that?
 

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,246
334
Phoenix, AZ
Licensing

njmac said:
That really sucks though. You have 2 computers. You go buy Tiger. You have to buy 2 copies of Tiger, one for each computer? What if you bought a movie and it would only play in sony DVD players. Oh you have a Panasonic DVD player in the family room? well I guess you'll buy another copy then. Isn't it kind of like that?
The use of any copyrighted, licensed material is quite clear when you buy it. On CDs, it says for personal use only. On software, it says for personal (or business or edu) use on one computer only. If you want to install it on more than one computer, buy another license. That's what family packs are for, you know.
If you don't like it, invent a better way.
 

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,756
2
appleretailguy said:
The use of any copyrighted, licensed material is quite clear when you buy it. On CDs, it says for personal use only. On software, it says for personal (or business or edu) use on one computer only. If you want to install it on more than one computer, buy another license. That's what family packs are for, you know.
If you don't like it, invent a better way.
Hasn't anyone ever invented a better than that? I thought a better way would be to let a person who bought the software use it on their personal computers.

I get your point though, the way it is is the way it has to be. I am willing to accept it because I love the software! :)
 

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
1,348
441
njmac said:
That really sucks though. You have 2 computers. You go buy Tiger. You have to buy 2 copies of Tiger, one for each computer? What if you bought a movie and it would only play in sony DVD players. Oh you have a Panasonic DVD player in the family room? well I guess you'll buy another copy then. Isn't it kind of like that?
No not really. Its pretty obvious that just creating another copy of a program is stealing. So you install tiger on your other computer. Okay, that's technically illegal. Now what about your parents' Mac? Why should they have to buy another copy? Same family. What about your neighbor? And his friend? And his friends kids? Pretty soon Apple's not selling many copies of Tiger. I can't tell you what to do, but I can say (like many others) that its definitely theft of products/services. No different than taking a $120 boombox of the shelf at Target. Next time pay a little more attention and get a family pack ($200 for 5 licenses).
 

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,756
2
Jay42 said:
No not really. Its pretty obvious that just creating another copy of a program is stealing. So you install tiger on your other computer. Okay, that's technically illegal. Now what about your parents' Mac? Why should they have to buy another copy? Same family. What about your neighbor? And his friend? And his friends kids? Pretty soon Apple's not selling many copies of Tiger. I can't tell you what to do, but I can say (like many others) that its definitely theft of products/services. No different than taking a $120 boombox of the shelf at Target. Next time pay a little more attention and get a family pack ($200 for 5 licenses).
I only have one computer so never gave it much thought until I read this post. You definitely have a good point... and I always want to support Apple, not to mention I am not a thief.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.