iBooks Store Update

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by AnthonyCM, May 13, 2010.

1. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

Anyone keeping track, or have any insight, on how often iBooks updates?

No Martin Amis (who just put out a new book), no Phillip Roth, Pat Conroy, Etc. Thankfully, I can get these from the Kindle store, but would prefer to use the iBook interface (note: I do like the sepia option on Kindle).

2. sonvolt10 macrumors newbie

Anthony,

I'm as frustrated as you appear to be with the lack of content in iBooks. 95% of all recently released books are NOT available in iBooks; except for the Oprah-approved, chick-lit crapola.

I'm reading the Imperfectionists now via the Kindle app and it's not nearly as rewarding as it would otherwise be in iBooks.

Things can only get better from here...

3. marcopolo007uk macrumors member

Unfortunately this has been an issue with eBooks since they were first marketed as a mainstream device, it must really hurt ebook sales.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I too am frustrated with iBooks in this regard.

I much prefer the ibook application and implementation, but I end up using Kindle app as I find the books more readily available, and often cheaper.

For now, and for serious avid readers; Kindle has it in the bag.

5. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Agreed. Plus the added portability of being able to read the books on my iPhone or Macbook or Kindle 2.

I'm hoping for a Kindle App UPDATE so that it better competes with the features in iBooks.

6. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

It shows that you don't own a Kindle. All the major releases have been available on Amazon as Kindle releases for at least 1-2 years now. iBooks still lags way behind but I bet this Time next year there will be either a partnership with Amazon or a significant increase in exclusives for iBooks.

7. smotheredhope macrumors regular

You have good taste in Lit. Quick name me your top 10 favorite writers! GO!

8. Davydd macrumors regular

Not all books are available on Amazon.com either for Kindle. I like to read mystery novel series in order. The next C. J. Box game warden Joe Pickett novel on my list was Free Fire. Apple iBooks store didn't have it and Amazon.com Kindle store didn't have it. Barnes & Noble's ebook store had it. Unfortunately, the B&N eReader has not been upgraded to the full page iPad format yet. :( So I have to read it on the tiny screen. On the plus side the iPad at least gives you more source choices for ebooks.

BTW, the Free Fire ebook at $6.99 was a dollar cheaper than the mass paperback version.

Does anyone know when Barnes & Noble is going to upgrade its eReader for the iPad? Borders is coming out with a new ereader for the iPad and ebook store soon and may beat them to the punch.

9. Davydd macrumors regular

Another point to make. Timeliness. John Sandford's Wicked Prey just came out in mass paperback so I went checking the ebook stores. Amazon.com dropped its Kindle version price to correspond to the paperback price but Apple iBooks store still doesn't reflect that. They still sell it at $14.95. Apple appears to be still an amateur dabbling in the ebook game.

I much prefer reading ebooks in the landscape two page format. Hope all the ereaders follow suit on that idea.

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I think we are just going to have to have a bit of patience with apple ebooks. Amazon has a great head start and even they don't have some of the things I'm looking for. It'll take a bit. I'm reading Vonnegut's Hocus Pocus on the iBook store. Good stuff, but they are missing a lot of vonnegut's best. Just going to take some time.

Patience young padiwan.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

myself I won't buy e books that are format limited. I don't want a book that can only be read by one brand of reader. we don't know what will happen in the future and getting stuck with obsolete books would really suck.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Same experience here. I sold my Kindles just before purchasing the iPad. At least I have access to all my Kindle books, which is great. The iBooks store selection is very poor also for any business/technical titles. At this stage there is simply no comparison between what's available from Amazon and iBooks. I am hoping that Apple does see the the potential revenue stream from ebooks as significant enough to expand their catalog rather dramatically.