iBooks Uncomfortable

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by chaseardoin7, May 20, 2010.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

Is anyone else out there generally unimpressed with the reading experience of iBooks on the iPad? I got rid of my Kindle to get the iPad and miss my Kindle very much. I find the reading experience on the iPad uncomfortable. The screen is awkward and it seems very heavy when you're trying to read for longer periods.

Granted, this will not change my mind on the iPad; I still consider it to be an amazing device...just not a good eBook reader.

Anyone agree?

2. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

ditto

I agree totally. I love my Kindle 2 and it's a featherweight beside my iPad. The iPad is hard to hold, big and heavy, and though the screen experience is better than I'd thought, e-ink & Kindle still trump it completely. One's a reader and the other really isn't. So I use them both. I would never give up my Kindle. I just use my iPad for other things.

3. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Yeah - I'm definitely keeping my Kindle 2. Especially for reading outside by the pool or something.

I'll use the iPad for everything else, or when I just want to read for a short bit.

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I have found reading ebooks quite enjoyable, granted having never used a kindle I cannot compare, I suppose it was always going to suffer against a dedicated reader but the other features more than make up for it!

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

iPad is too heavy and the screen is a little too eye-straining for serious bedtime reading. I know that plenty disagree, though, and I feel this is a subjective thing. I don't see myself giving up e-ink.

In fact, my husband recently got a Nook and I'm having massive technological lust over it--it's so much more comfortable to use than my Sony e-reader; and feels/looks more like an Apple product than anything.

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

No problem here. My iPad works great as a book reader.

7. Neous macrumors member

Neous

not me
    I like seeing all my book on the "shelves"
    i upgraded from an iphone so my experience is totally different from yours.

one thing that would be nice would be for iBook and Goodreader would be to have the ability to change the background to a darker color for night reading like Stanza. the iPad is just to bright at when reading in the dark.
    otherwise it's the a good eReader

8. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I sold my Sony Daily Reader to purchase the iPad. I looked at it as a replacement for that device with the ability to do SO much more.

I am definitely happy I did. I can't read E-Ink in the dark, and the book lights only made the top half of the screen readable, the bottom half I strained my eyes. This works exactly as advertised, and I like the graphic page turns as I'm reading.

As someone said though....completely subjective. I liken the weight to that of a large hard cover and the size to a magazine :)

9. reppans macrumors member

You can actually do this. Seen an Apple tech do it in the store.

Under settings, accessibility, international or something..... you reverse the screen lighting like a photo negative (whole machine though). iBook goes to white lettering on black background.

10. AldoRay macrumors member

I have a Kindle but have been using the iPad for e-reading since I received it a week ago.

I use the Kindle reader on the iPad rather than iBooks, mostly because I had already purchased numerous books on the Kindle.

The thing I really enjoy about the Kindle reader is the Sepia setting that helps a lot with the eye strain, as well as turning the brightness way down.

I also like the idea of being able to check email and even take a break from reading and play a game for a few minutes, which is an odd habit I picked up when I got my iPhone.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Bingo, I've got mine set to a triple click of the home button :)

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I am wondering about that myself. I recently started using the Kindle app on my iPhone and find it very easy to use--holding the iPhone in bed is a breeze--but what of the additional weight of the iPad? With the iPhone it is easy to read with one hand. I guess it will take time for iPad users to find the best way to use it as a reader.

13. dstar macrumors regular

E-ink displays are superior for reading. My wifes nook is much nicer for longer term reading.

However the ipad excels with PDF technical documentation. I also use the kindle app for regular books on the ipad but it's not as nice as the nook.

14. Robin4 macrumors 6502

I really enjoy reading on the iPad. I have to admit I haven't tried the Kindle app. yet. I add some light music and I am set for a nice relaxing experience.

It beats a heavy book and small print any day.

15. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

My biggest problem with using my iPad as a book is the numerous other distractions that the device has to offer which prevents me from reading the book I want to. Before I had my iPad I used to go to bed and get my Sony reader out and enjoy a book for an hour. Now the wife has that and I pull out the iPad and just check the BBC news app, then the weather, then a quick look on Macrumors.....etc. Until I've lost an hour and don't want to read any more. Damn you Apple and your magical devices ;)

16. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Wow...

I couldn't disagree more. I sold my Kindle2 two weeks after my iPad purchase and I have never looked back.

In fact, when people ask "What's the coolest thing about the iPad?" I always say the ebook readers - both iBooks and Kindle App.

The ability to read in low or no light is SO great! I have found that reading at night requires, lowering the brightness all the way but its no big deal.

I have all of my 60 Kindle books available as well. And the only thing I miss is the dictionary functionality it the app.

It is a bit heavy, I suppose, but it hasn't been any kind of a probleme for me. I think I just rest it on my chest or stomach when I read.

The shiny screen can be annoying in certain lighting so I have to tilt it occasionally to avoid the glare. But, by far, the ability to read in bed with the lights off (so I don't annoy the wife) is so so so worth it!

I just played with another Kindle2 at a friend's house yesterday and my first thought was "Damn, this feels so primitive now."

Just my thoughts.

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Completely disagree. I've had the Sony PRS-550, the Kindle 2, and now the iPad, and the iPad is by far my favorite.

18. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

You are a genius. I love this forum!

19. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Awesome tip, this'll help my latenight reading and surfing.

20. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

I guess all the people making this argument either have never read a hardback book more than about 300 pages in length, or have arms like toothpicks.

21. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Actually I found the opposite to be true. I also sold my kindle2 and do not miss it at all.

One of the things I do is in settings I run my brightness at 1/3 max and a lot of the time when reading books I use the black screen and white text and find it very pleasant to my eyes. Perhaps give that a go if you have not tried that yet.

I would agree that the iPad is a lot heavier then then kindle and can get a little tiring if one holds it in the air and reads. I usually let the iPad rest on my body or I have a nice Groovy Stand that I use then I don't have to deal with that issue!

Anyways best to ya! ;)

22. iPad1iPad macrumors newbie

iPad1iPad

Love this forum! I learn something new about the iPad everyday...and I use it extensively! Thanks for the tip!

23. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Same here. Makes wading thru the bitter and annoying posts from self-appointed forum police worth it.

24. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

That is cool! I've set this up on iPhone too!

25. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

It's not an argument, it's a subjective opinion and thus does not require insults so that you can "win".