Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
Hi Everyone

Running an iPad air on the newest software update.

iBooks completely does not work for me. I can launch the app - but everything is blank.

I have tried a soft reset (home button + power) and closed out of the app and logged back in and still nothing.

Is my only option at this point to wipe it clean? I have no idea why this is happening - iPad works fine, all apps launch except for this one.. and it's an Apple app.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: janezblond

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Whenever there are glitches after a software update I always do a Reset Network Settings - give it a try.

UPDATE: I can't access the iBooks store from my iPP this morning so it appears not to have anything to do with updating your iOS; however, I was able to get on the store through my iMac.

Last edited:

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
So I wiped it - and it still is happening.

(I was thinking about wiping it to begin with as I wanted a clean instal of the newest software..)

Disappointed.. this is very weird.

Swashbuckle Dom

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Hi Everyone

Running an iPad air on the newest software update.

iBooks completely does not work for me. I can launch the app - but everything is blank.

I have tried a soft reset (home button + power) and closed out of the app and logged back in and still nothing.

Is my only option at this point to wipe it clean? I have no idea why this is happening - iPad works fine, all apps launch except for this one.. and it's an Apple app.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
[doublepost=1469074969][/doublepost]Same issue here on a 12.9 pro. All of my book library is visible but if I tap on any of the store icons on the bottom such as "featured" or "categoriess" etc. they are all blank white. Nothing. Zero access to the iBooks store.

Last edited:

PhilHeron

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
Same here. On my iPad (Mini2) I can see my iBooks library, but all the iBooks Store icons bring up a completely blank screen. Everything is working OK on my iPhone. Both devices on iOS 9.3.3.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Same for me on my iPads. I reset Network settings and that brought the store back temporarily - but it's gone again.

Time to switch to Kindle. Between this and the inconsistent syncing issues Apple has - I'm done with iBooks.

-Kevin

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
UPDATE to my UPDATE above - iBooks was back to normal on my iPP yesterday afternoon and is normal this morning.

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
And I did clarify that this same thing was happening on both my parents iPads and they were running 9.3.2, not the latest. So this has nothing to do with 9.3.3.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Have not checked my iPad today - it was almost like Apple didn't even know

I talked to Apple support on twitter and they were no help. Said there were no known problems. I'd say it's more that Apple doesn't care. Have to imagine iBooks user base is so small they don't care.

-Kevin

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I talked to Apple support on twitter and they were no help. Said there were no known problems. I'd say it's more that Apple doesn't care. Have to imagine iBooks user base is so small they don't care.

-Kevin
I don't know - they have sold hundreds of millions of these devices - theres no way the market share can be that "small". It might not be a large piece of the pie - but it's still an income generator that's not functioning for the company.

I just put the book on my device instead of reading through the cloud incase it happens again. Good to know it wasn't my device. I was confused because it was working on my Mac and Phone.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I had a similar issue yesterday - I could access and read from my library just fine, but when I tapped on any of the store icons, it just showed me a completely blank screen. However, I have a "books to read" note filled with links to iBooks Store pages. Out of curiosity I tapped one of those links. I don't know if it refreshed the store or what, but the link loaded properly in iBooks, and the rest of the store loaded behind the book's store page. iBooks has been working fine for me since.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I had a similar issue yesterday - I could access and read from my library just fine, but when I tapped on any of the store icons, it just showed me a completely blank screen. However, I have a "books to read" note filled with links to iBooks Store pages. Out of curiosity I tapped one of those links. I don't know if it refreshed the store or what, but the link loaded properly in iBooks, and the rest of the store loaded behind the book's store page. iBooks has been working fine for me since.

Interesting. I did a search for a book in Safari to get the iBooks store link. Sure enough it opened the link in iBooks and the book details loaded fine, as well as the store behind it. The store would continue working even after closing the books details. However, clicking any of the links at the bottom in iBooks (Featured, Purchased, etc), back to blank pages.

-Kevin

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Interesting. I did a search for a book in Safari to get the iBooks store link. Sure enough it opened the link in iBooks and the book details loaded fine, as well as the store behind it. The store would continue working even after closing the books details. However, clicking any of the links at the bottom in iBooks (Featured, Purchased, etc), back to blank pages.

-Kevin

Huh. That's strange. The store continued loading fine for me if I switched between sections. However I did need to refresh it again by clicking on one of my links if I left the store for a few hours or so.

Seems to back up for me. iPad Pro 12.9" Pro.

Seems to be working for me too, I haven't had to use that trick I described above in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.