Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just two days ago, App Advice reported that Apple's iBookstore, set to launch in the U.S. on April 3rd alongside the iPad, was displaying $9.99 prices for the vast majority of eBooks from The New York Times best sellers list. Only a few titles were set at different price points, maxing out at $12.99

170642-ibookstore_prices_300.jpg

Today, however, the site reports that pricing for the same eBooks has shot up, with most of the content formerly priced at $9.99 now checking in at $12.99.
This sudden change is extremely intriguing. Is Apple using this to figure out where the leak is coming from? Did Amazon react to our announcement and pressured publishers to rise the prices? We don't know. It also remains to be seen if these price changes are just temporary of definitive.
Of the six identical titles visible in the before-and-after screenshots, five of them have been bumped up to $12.99, with only Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter remaining at $9.99. Consequently, it appears that Apple's iBookstore plans remain in flux with just a week to go before the store's launch, and we may have to wait until April 3rd to see how things truly shake out.

Article Link: iBookstore Best Seller Prices Suddenly Jump to $12.99?

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
The iBook store isn't out yet. We have no idea what the prices are/were...

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Be fair. At $12.95 lots of people would buy textbooks (if you were in college), or the Talmud ("no longer $2,500!"), or the 8th Harry Potter book ("this is the one where Harry Potter dies") ...

And I probably wouldn't pay $9.95 for a typical ebook, either. We'll see when we see.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
If they KEEP the books at $12.99, not going to get that many sales from me.

If they move the price down the curve quickly, not a problem.

I notice Baen Books moves the price down on new books very quickly (and they're keeping the backlist for Poul Anderson and Heinlein around at very reasonable prices).

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
Big deal. Have you ever tracked prices at Amazon? They fluctuate hourly.

And this is a store that isn't even open for another week? Relax.

Remember we were talking about paying $1000 for the iPad. :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This really means nothing. If Walmart is selling a product for $9 and Target is selling the exact same product for $12, would you cry and throw a temper tantrum? My point; just go to Amazon and buy the same friggin file for $3 cheaper. There's no need to swing from Steve's nutsack for everything.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Be fair. At $12.95 lots of people would buy textbooks (if you were in college), or the Talmud ("no longer $2,500!"), or the 8th Harry Potter book ("this is the one where Harry Potter dies") ...

And I probably wouldn't pay $9.95 for a typical ebook, either. We'll see when we see.
12.95 for a textbook? yeah right.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
So? It's still a lot cheaper than a paper book. And I don't have to go to the store for it. And if I finish it in the middle of the night and what another book, I can get it instantly. This doesn't bother me.

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Many here make me laugh. Willing to pay 500 bucks for a device which is nothing without content, but than not wanting to pay 12.95 for an e-book (about 50% of the paper edition).

firewired

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Nice that Amazon and B&N will also have iPad apps, that way you can go from store to buy the identical book at the cheapest price and let the free market do the speaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.