Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Just wondering if anyone had heard any rumblings of Apple bringing the iBookstore to the Mac App store? I'm wanting to start building up my iBook collection but I'd really like to be able to read the books, as well as browse the store, on my Mac. If there's no news on it I'm going to transition over to the Kindle Apps...but as an Apple loyalist I'm hoping they release their alternative soon!

Thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Haven't heard any rumblings.

However, I had been using iBooks with my iPhone up until last week and made the switch to the Kindle app. I find I am far more satisfied with the Kindle app than iBooks. I can find a lot more material in my searches and I get good results by typing in the name of the author rather than just the title.

Plus if I buy a Kindle I can read all my books on it or on any of my computers. Although regular books are my preferred format. Any author I truly enjoy I buy the hardcover editions of their works, or just books that are normally over 100 pages. As it gets too hard on the eye's reading them on the iPhone.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I have read for years on my palm then the iphone. But it bothered me sometimes and the iphone has too many distractions. I used stanza for reading it is the best app if you want full control. But I was reading a series and I could not get any of the newer books in the ereader format. so I started looking at readers. the kindle was about the best between the ibooks reader (it does not have a night mode) Then I finally broke down and bought a kindle. So much easier to read on and now I am back to reading more. and at night I just read on the iphone and they are kept synced.

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I decided to buy the Kindle version in hopes of removing the DRM via Calibre w/ plugin so I could read it on any reader. However I can't find the .azw (Kindle) files stored anywhere. I've Google'd solutions for probably 45 minutes now and have found nothing. There is no "My Kindle Books" folder in My Docs, I can't pick a destination in the Kindle for Mac preferences, I've shown hidden files...nothing. The only other thing is searching System Files which I'm having a hard time figuring out.

Any idea where the Kindle app would be storing my books on my Mac? I'll just chalk this up as another Apple win, Amazon loss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.