iBookstore, On iTunes??

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by EarlofCroydon, May 20, 2011.

1. EarlofCroydon macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

I think iBooks is fantastic and can't wait to start reading books on my new iPad but why is the iBookstore only available through iBooks on the iPad? Apps, Music etc. can all be bought through the iTunes Store on my Mac, don't understand why Apple don't seem to give as much importance to the iBookstore? :apple:

2. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

The simple answer: because it's the book store. In all honesty no one knows but I think it's better separated from iTunes

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

If I had to guess I'd say it was more publisher-driven than Apple driven. Downloading direct to the iPad removes the book from the desktop completely and makes it a little less inviting to strip off the DRM and share it freely. Locking it into an "in-app" purchasing scheme keeps the copyright better protected.

People are quick to blame Apple for every little quirk they encounter without considering that they often need to make concessions to copyright-holders in exchange for their participation.

4. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

Pretty sure theres a section in itunes store for books no? Dont have mac with me to check.

5. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

That's the audiobook section, but you will see the books and PDFs showing in iTunes as part of your library. You can't buy books from iTunes.

Cheers, Macjim.

6. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

When you sync your iOS device with iTunes, the books in iBooks are actually copied to your computer.