IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makasin, Mar 21, 2008.

1. makasin macrumors member

Hey guys!
    I recently got interested in reapplying the thermal paste on my MBP in an attempt to lower the temps a bit to keep everything running as well as possible as well as a possible windows GPU overclock when running games (not much, I notice that the core/mem are lower than they are on most computers, so it would be nice if i could bring it closer to the "stocK" clock). I was wondering what you guys think about the Diamond thermal compound. Ive heard nothing but good reviews of it and since it doesnt conduct electricity, theres an even less cahnce of screwing something up (especially if too much is applied, which isnt the goal here obviously). Does anybody have any experience with this particular thermal grease or any similar type. Is there a howto or guide online on how to do this? Is gaining access to the CPU/GPU/chipset relatively easy or is there a great risk of screwing something up?

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Not sure how difficult it's going to be to take it apart, I think there's always a risk to screw something up.

As for IC Diamond thermal compound, I heard it's very thick and hard to apply as its consistency has been likened to that of cold peanut butter, so imagine laying a thin layer of that. Perhaps you'd want to get one that's easier to apply vs the one or two Celsius difference you'll be experiencing. I myself am going with the Arctic Thermal MX-2, heard it spreads like butter and the performance is excellent. But it all depends on your degree of experience, look around and pick what you're comfortable with.

3. makasin thread starter macrumors member

does the MX-2 conduct electricity?
    Is there anywhere to get it without going online?
    Radioshack has some 99.9% silver thermal compound. Does anyone know how it compare to AS5?
    I know it probably wont be the "best" but ive got a RatShack a block away from my house so its kinda tempting to try.