iCal and Address Book Questions from New Mac User

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hfthomp, Apr 28, 2008.

1. hfthomp macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm a new/old mac user. I used macs back in high school and college but since then have taken a 10 year sabbatical to the Windows world. Anyway, I just got a new iMac last week, and so far I'm loving it. I have a couple of questions though about the iCal and Address Book apps.....

I set my computer up so that my wife and I each have an account on the computer, however, I want us both to be able to both use the same Address Book and be able to see each other's iCal Calendars.

I think I found out how to share the AddressBook by putting the AddressBook library folder in my shared area and then putting a symbolic link to that folder in each our our user's folders. Is this the best way to do this?

As for iCal sharing, I haven't found a work around for that yet. Does anyone use this same set up as me? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. shuggie macrumors newbie

newbie Mac user ical & Address Book questions

Hello all

I have exactly the same questions as hfthomp.

I too have set up separate accounts for myself and my wife and would like us both to share the same calendar and address book.

Unlike hfthomp I have no previous experience with MacOs, so even his simple "creating a symbolic link" is beyond my ken!

I'm using a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with Mac OS X 10.5.4.

Can anyone help?

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

- move the AddressBook folder from your account to the /Users/Shared/ directory
    - create an alias to this,
    - move the alias to where you moved the AddressBook folder from (your /Library/Application Support/ folder)
    - rename the alias "AddressBook".

Now copy the alias and stick that into the /Library/ApplicationSupport/ folders of the respective users.

By this means you should find your users are all using the same global Address book data.

4. shuggie macrumors newbie

Thank Ice-Cube for your lightning swift reply!

Unfortunately I cannot get your solution to work.

I have done exactly as you have outlined:

- move the AddressBook folder from your account to the /Users/Shared/ directory
    - create an alias to this,
    - move the alias to where you moved the AddressBook folder from (your /Library/Application Support/ folder)
    - rename the alias "AddressBook"

and then, as a test, tried to open Address Book. The application does not start!

As I understand it, if I create an alias somewhere else (say on my desktop), then it should function just as if it were the original. With Address Book this certainly does not seem to work.

Or have I done something wrong?