iCal / Calendars double entries after iOS 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zornet, Nov 24, 2010.

1. zornet macrumors regular

With both my iPhone 4 and iPad (not jail broken), iOS 4.2.1 upgrade caused double entries on these devises after Syncing to my MacBook Pro :mad:. Using iTunes 10.1, info / Advanced / Replace information on this iPhone (or iPad) checked box, does NOT solve this condition.

Any one having this same problem and or solution?

2. Second John macrumors newbie

double entries here too

I too just upgraded by iOS to 4.2.1 and my first sync with iCal in my MacBook Pro had a bunch of double entries. All I can say is, you're not the only one, and I hope someone has figured out how to keep it from happening next time. I've really enjoyed how well the syncing has done ... until now. Deleted a bunch of duplicates on my iPhone but nervous about trying another sync. Don't want to have to do it every time I sync! So there is someone else having the problem, but I have no answer to it. Hopefully someone out there will.

3. zornet thread starter macrumors regular

After further observations it lOOks as this problem occurs after editing an iCal event on the MacBook. After re-syncing the iPhone4 I had both events present on the iPhone, but not iCal on the MacBook.

Taking it a bit further, I created a New Event "TEST" in iCal on the MacBook, followed with a sync with the iPhone. After editing the new event "TEST" on the Mac naming it "TEST 1st edit" again synced to the iPhone. Both events were present on the iPhone "TEST" and "TEST 1st edit". This continued to be the case thru "TEST 3rd edit" events, for a total of four events on the iPhone compared to one event "TEST 3rd edit" on the MacBook. Houston, there appears to be a problem and I don't like it :(. Second John we need HELP :eek:.

4. Second John macrumors newbie

Surely there's someone out there who can take the results of your good test and provide a solution. Surely we're not the only people on the planet who use iCal on our Macs and iphones!

5. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

Unable to delete doubled events

Ever since i upgraded to my iPhone 4, I have seen a few double events that show up on the phone but not in iCal on my MacPro. I cannot edit nor delete the "phantom" events showing on my iPhone. I have tried everything I can think of from deleting all calendar information from my iPhone and then resyncing to restoring the phone.

This doubling only appears for a few recurring events that were created on my old iPhone 2g. I have not seen any new events doubling.

6. Second John macrumors newbie

Still no solution

I still haven't seen an answer to our problem. When I synced after upgrading iPhone 4 to iOS to 4.2.1, I had it put several duplicate entries in iCal on both my phone and my Mac. I deleted many of the duplicates from my phone but haven't synced since I don't want it to make still more duplicAtes. I want a solution before I do that. Please!!

7. zornet thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved…

Problem solved… Yesterday a visit to The Groves Genius-Bar did the trick. Genius Seth was fantastic. He synced my iPhone4 to the Genius-Bar's MacBook Pro to confirm or ruling-out the problem being with my MacBook Pro or the 4.2.1 upgrade. After running test with a "new event" as I previously had done on mine. He did the same with their MacBook. Yes it was determined that the problem was my iCal on my MacBook.

Corruption of the Calendars directory and or MobilesSync directories was the villain. He dragged the Calendars and MobilesSync directories to the desktop, restarted my MacBook. This rebuilds these deleted directories.

What was now present were all the duplicates events present in iCal. I finished deleting all of them minutes ago via iCal, followed my a sync to the iPhone4. Resulting in a total fix of this issue. Evidently the 4.2.1 upgrade triggered this condition, but we'll never know for sure. A BIG thumbs up for Genius Seth at The Grove, the drive across town was well worth it.

Show below are the locations of corrupted files:

Users/your-account/Library/Calendars
    Users/your-account/Library/Application Support/MobilesSync

8. Second John macrumors newbie

restoring good calendar to phone

OK, this is what I've tried. I fixed iCal on my Mac, saved a back up copy to my desktop (File, Export and iCal Archive), since I know it's OK. Then I plugged my iphone into my Mac, canceled the syncing session, selected my phone then the Information tab, scrolled down to advanced and checked Calendar (to replace data in iCal on my phone with what's on the Mac). When I hit Apply, it started syncing. So far, so good. I'll let you know if I have other issues.

9. kinnehora, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

kinnehora macrumors newbie

Multiple entries on iPod ical

Update to message below: Everything now is really messed up. I deleted extra entries on iPod (there were three. Two could be deleted, one not, for each entry. Then got back on Mac and found I had Lost everything on Google calendar, retrieved from iCal backup to iCal on laptop, can't figure out how to resync it to Google; everything now in disarray.... (233pm CST 12/06)

Update 3pm, incredible disarray. There was only one month of missing Google entries. I've recreated themissing 1 month of Google calendar items, unsubscribed and resubscribed from iCal. it now no longer gives me "delegation" option. Double entries now visible in iCal on Mac, one as "work" and one as the Google gmail account. Afraid to connect iPod again.
    ============

I read the above two posts, and as a brand new iPod and Mac user, I couldn't get things to work. I have Google calendar, sync'd to iCal on my Mac laptop and sync'd to iCal on iPod. I had double calendar entries on iPod, single entries on iCal and Google Calendar

First I tried tried Second John's prescription, (but I didn't "fix" iCal on Mac, because nothing is wrong with it), backed it up to desktop, plugged in iPod, canceled sync, selected iPod in iTunes, checked calendar and "replace" data on iPod. Hit apply.

What happened then was that 3 copies (one additional one) now appear for each appointment on iPod.

Then I tried zornet's prescription. I moved the entire Calendars and MobilesSync directories on the Mac to the desktop. Then rebooted. (it does NOT rebuild at this point, it only rebuilt when I tried to sync). zornet says "what was now present were all the duplicates..." I have no idea what this means -- present where? so i didn't delete anything (and there's nothing to delete in iCal on Mac anyway, because there's no duplicates there), and then re-synced. The three appointments created in the last step are still there on the iPod.

Advice welcome, and the more explicit the better. Thanks.
    :confused:

10. zornet thread starter macrumors regular

kinnehora this does not sound like a good time… In my case I do NOT use Google Calendars. With that said all I can help with would be iCal correctly syncing your iPod. It seems that after iCal is corrected you should be able to delete Google Calendars and re-sync them from your corrected iCal on your Mac.

1. Drag the Calendars and MobilesSync directories to the desktop.
    2. Locations below:
      Users/your-account/Library/Calendars
      Users/your-account/Library/Application Support/MobilesSync

3. Shut-down / restart your Mac. This rebuilds these deleted directories.
    4. Now present you should see all duplicated events that were present in iCal on you Mac. Methodically delete them from your Mac.
    5. Delete the Calendars and MobilesSync dragged directories from desktop.
    6. Using iTunes 10.1, info / Advanced / Replace information on this iPod. Check box for Calendars.
    7. Sync connected iPod.

You should in good shape on both your Mac and iPod, try re-syncing your Google Calendars from your Mac, not Google to Mac ;).

11. kinnehora, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

kinnehora macrumors newbie

Google calendars, iCal etc.

zornet, thanks.

Problem is partially sorted out. on the iPod, there is a control which asks which calendars you want to sync. i had it synching with everything on my Mac, which meant its internal iCal plus the Google mail that it was synching, plus I had the iPod syncing directly to Google. Thus, three entries for everything. I have it just syncing to Google right now.

It shows double entries. However, if i tell iCal on the iPod to NOT show me Google mail, it goes back to single entries. So what is apparently happening is that iCal on iPod is syncing AND simultaneously displaying Google mail. If I tell it not to show me external calendars, it shows me single entry (from itself, presumably).

12. darkcody macrumors newbie

Zornet, Thanks! I'd been looking all over for someone with my problem and a solution that works. Yours works for me. As stated, when you remove the two folders mentioned in zornet's solution and restart your macbook, ical will rebuild what it needs to and when you open ical you'll see all the duplicate events that have been showing up on your ipod. I went through and deleted the ones I didn't want to be there, then in itunes checked the box to replace calendar info on my ipod with info from my macbook. Everything is back in order now

13. zornet thread starter macrumors regular

Your welcome guys :<) Just last week I had to recommit to this iCal / Calendars double entries glitch. The fix still works luckily. But it would be nice if our friends @ Apple would include a real solution via software / firmware-up date. So every six months or so you to may need to revisit this solution.