iCal - Cannot edit events

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jasimon9, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jasimon9 macrumors regular

I cannot find how to edit events in iCal. I should be able to "double click it" and then click Edit. However, no "edit" button appears.

Please note: this is a repeating event -- is it not possible to edit them? This is needed for a monthly meeting that occurs at different places, so each individual instance should be editable with particulars for that event.

Also, these events were converted from Outlook on Windows. Is that the problem?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Try clicking on the event to open it up. Then click on the part you want to edit. It will let you edit it right there....

3. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that is the obvious way. However for these recurring items, when you click on it the following happens:

• None of the fields can be edited
    • There is no edit button
    • Cmd-E opens up a bit, but still nothing is editable

4. tallguy macrumors regular

This same things happened to me yesterday, and it went away after i just flipped through a couple months and then went back. It seems obvious so you may have already tried it.

5. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Flipping back and forth has no effect. It just seems that these recurrring events that were imported are "read-only."

The workaround is to duplicate the next instance of the recurring event when details are known to a new event, edit the new event, and delete the next instance of the recurring event.

This achieves the intended results, with a couple of extra steps.

6. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Again today iCal stopped working. What I mean is that no events can be edited, not does GetInfo work. It is like the thing is completely locked.

What the heck is going on?

7. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Further information

Today I got more information on this issue, which may shed enough light to allow resolution.

When I try to drag to a new time items that I previously described that cannot be edited, the error message is that "only the originator" can change the event.

However, I am the originator.

I believe that in the import process, all of the imported items may have been changed in such as a way as to indicate a different originator.

Any ideas on how I can change this behavior, such as how to change "the originator?"

8. cheriebobbins macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem

I will just post it here rather than create my own thread (hi I'm new)

I recently had to archive and install mac os x as my applications permissions went scewy and i couldnt use my apps, i couldnt even use disk utilities to repair permissions. anyway everything is fine now apart from the computer looking like it did a year ago and having to re download everything i ever needed.
    BUT

ICAL is not quite like it was before... I used to be able to usem all the Ical features just fine, but now it's not letting me update an event.
    I cannot create a recurring event,
    I can not open info on an event to change anything,
    i can simply type the name of an event at a certain time and day and that is all..

It makes the whole thing frustrating... I dont know what the problem is...

I used to add an event, and double click to bring up the box of info, and have my bill payment planned up until kingdom come, but now i cant.

hopefully it is just something simple i had not thought of...
    thank you to anyone who can help

9. cheriebobbins macrumors newbie

Nevermind

:rolleyes:

It started working, I added something to the todo list to try out the icv desktop app and it started working properly.editing bubbles popping up like they should. I guess it didnt want to edit the calendar until I had a to do list?

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Where you able to get this resolved? What happens if you try to edit the first instance of the meeting request?