iCal Consistently Quitting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chriswheat, Oct 1, 2007.

1. chriswheat macrumors regular

I'm having a bizarre problem with iCal on one of my macs.

Using the latest version of iCal and 10.4.10, every time you open iCal it stays open for about 10-15 seconds, then the spinning beach ball of death appears and hangs for about 10 seconds before iCal quits automatically, bringing up the "application has quit unexpectedly" dialog.

I tried creating a new user account and opening iCal from that account and it works perfectly. So something in this user account is keeping iCal from operating. Where should I start?

2. chriswheat thread starter macrumors regular

A few more observations (if anyone can help):

Upon starting iCal, for the first 10 seconds you can see that there are many (50-75?) calendars in the sidebar that have no name, no details, etc. They're all colored differently. If you go to User Library:Application Data:iCal:Sources and delete all the calendar folders (50-75 of them) they just reappear the next time you open iCal. It seems like to enters an endless loop creating new calendars.

I've repaired permissions and reinstalled 10.4.10 from the combo update.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Try finding the .plist file associate with iCal and dragging it to your desktop, then restart iCal.

I'm at work on an XP machine, so I can't tell you exactly what it's called, but a Spotlight search ought to find it for you.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I had a similar issue, and found it was a bad iDisk sync to .mac. The solution was to "reset all sync devices" (not at the mac right now, so can't be more specific). I could tell it to sync .mac to HD, or HD to .mac. Choose one or the other and let it do its thing. Worked perfectly.

Good luck!