iCal cuts off my event text.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Darkhawk, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Darkhawk macrumors newbie

Darkhawk

You've all experienced this, but it's still going to need a couple images to clarify.

Here's me, trying to add a new item to iCal: Should I take mom to the movie next week? (It's her birthday!)

[​IMG]

Now here's what the calendar looks like once entered:
    [​IMG]

So, why has "Mom" been cut off? There is an inelegant solution, which is to hit space a mad number of times after the word "with" until, for whatever reason, all the text shows up. But generally, what's the reason for the cut-off?

This is at least tolerable: I mean, I know whose name goes in the missing space. But It REALLY drives me nuts when the missing text is an address or something more important.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Um, maybe a character limitation? If you could display an unlimited length, that could really screw up the grid of your calendar display.

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I agree. Why can't it just move down to the next line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm not sure where that was unclear. In other words, maybe another line is not available. There's a limit.

5. Darkhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

Darkhawk

It's such an odd thing to limit though. I mean, the limit should be so much as fills the box for that date. Not an arbitrary count that just cuts off my text and leaves a huge blank space underneath!

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, the blank space is a flaw, for sure. But since I'm not sure what happens to the box when you have multiple events to show on a given date, I can't agree with the limit for one event being enough to fill the box on its own. If the box gets bigger for multiple entries, and you have two or more that are long enough to fill the box individually, what happens to the rest of the calendar? You'd be creating lots of blank space on other days during that week at the very least.