iCal duplication

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vodouman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. vodouman macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just synced my stuff up to iCal, it asked if I wanted my calendar in the cloud and it would be quite handy, so I checked the box.

I go to my iCal and now all of my stuff is duplicated!!!

Is this a normal bug :'( Apple never seem to get internet syncing stuff right.

- Vodouman

----------

Just checked with iCloud.com and only my stuff stored locally is duplicated. iCloud only has one copy of everything.

Any ideas how to solve this?

- Vodouman

2. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

What do you have checked to see for calendars in iCal?

It shows what is local and what is in iCloud at same time unless unchecked.

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

You've probably ended up with "On My Mac" calendars and "iCloud" calendars.

You need to delete (or disable (untick)) the "On My Mac" ones if you're planning to use iCloud.

I think I saw an option somewhere to automatically remove iCloud-duplicated-data, but I can't remember if it was in iTunes or System Prefs or where.

You might have the same issue with Address Book.

4. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

5. cindyhy macrumors member

Yeah, same problem. I can untick "on my mac" calendars but if this is how they intended for iCloud to work, then I don't get it...

6. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

It's not, "On My Mac" calendars are for calendars that you only want on your Mac. If you only want to use iCloud, you don't need any "On My Mac" calendars.

7. Shrink, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

:DI thought I was the only one, so I was too embarrassed to post a question. Thanks, vodouman for asking.:D

Thanks to others for info on unchecking "on my Mac" :)

If anyone can figure out how to undo duplicates - that would be great to know. Going through and deleting dupes will be a big pain. :eek:

Edit: OK, so now I'll embarrass myself - Where is the "on my Mac" that I need to uncheck. Looked everywhere I can think of, and I can't find "on my Mac" to uncheck it:eek::eek:.

Edit ll: Found it! When you uncheck all the "on my Mac" boxes (and leave the iCloud boxes checked) the duplicates disappear. MAGIC!!

8. cindyhy macrumors member

Well, in that case iCloud should ask me if I want any calendars that's only on my Mac and offer to merge them instead of automatically duplicating everything. "On my Mac" calendars were already there. It's not like I added them after all the iCloud calendars... Unchecking the duplicates is trivial but I just think Apple can do better.