iCal - email alarm

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TemeculaMac, Aug 15, 2007.

1. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I've recently started using iCal and have successfully sync'd all of my events with my Blackberry. I'm trying to set alarms on several of these events, so they email me when the event is near.

The problem: I only see ONE email address and it's not the one I want to use. I've been banging my head trying to add additional email addresses for notification purposes.

I found the following hint:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050304001218169

I thought I was on to something. I added additional email addresses and gave each of them a "custom" label. I closed and opened iCal, tried to add an event with an email alarm...and I still only have ONE email address to choose from.

Has anyone gotten around this? I think this is a huge oversight by Apple, if they don't let us choose who the email alarm should be sent to.

I'm all ears :confused:

Thanks!
    Gary

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't been able to get past iCal's deficiencies yet. I use Google Calendar in conjunction with iCal and let Google SMS me instead.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i use ical with a BB and the missing sync; if i have a reminder set in ical for an event (message with sound) it pops up on the BB no problem.

i may be missing what you are after, but if you are looking for an audio/visual reminder of an event on your blackberry based on an ical event, doing the above works flawlessly; not sure why you would want it to email you instead.

??

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It works with the free Pocketmac just fine also.

But, whyever you want to do this... did you add the additional e-mail addresses *as e-mail addresses*, to the card that is identified as *ME* in Address Book? This is the only place you can put them.

5. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I really didn't want to get into "why" I need to do this...but here it goes.

I have 3 cell phones. 2 blackberries and one treo (each separated between my businesses). If I leave one of my blackberries behind (which is common), it does me no good to receive an alert on the blackberry I don't have. Email on the other hand....I can get from each of the devices.

I double checked my address book, and I definitely put them in the card identified as *ME* and put them in the email section. Is there a special way to identify it as an "email address"...or does simply putting it in the email section count? I'm able to email directly from the address book, so I *assume* it's set up properly. Any other suggestions? Maybe I'm just missing something :confused:

Thanks for all the replies!
    Gary

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, no, it sounds correct. Let me look when I'm at home. I didn't bring my 'book in with me today.

7. TemeculaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a bunch! I'll keep playing around, and hopefully figure out where I went wrong before you get home.

Thanks again,
    Gary

8. murtini macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this working?

I'm able to see all the e-mail addresses that belong to "me" when setting an e-mail alarm in iCal. I do have to restart iCal whenever I update the Address Book for iCal to recognize the changes, though.