iCal email alarms

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akadmon, Dec 3, 2007.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

Seems the usefulness of email alarms in iCal is kind of limited if (as it seems is the case) the alarm does not go out unless Mail is running. Why can't iCal trigger Mail in the background? :mad:

2. Britanium macrumors member

Actually, iCal will wake Mail to send out an alarm. I use this feature almost daily; it's great! I even send alarms to my phone (SMS) through it.

3. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

But but -- does it do it when Mail is not already running? I suspect you leave Mail running all the time.

4. Britanium macrumors member

No, it opens Mail when it is closed.

Close mail, set an alarm for yourself (for 5 minutes from now) and watch the magic :)

Good Luck!

(I should've prefaced this, I'm running 10.4.11 - I'm not sure if this has changed in Leopard <I highly doubt it though>)

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

I did that. I opened Mail a few minutes after the message was supped to go out (BTW, did not see Mail come up in the meantime), and the message was not there after the first automatic message download. Only after I forced Mail to check messages manually did the message appear. It was sent out right at that time, i.e., not when it was scheduled to be sent out.

I'm using Leopard.

6. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Since switching to Leopard i have yet to receive any of the email alarms from iCal. 95% of the time Mail is running. Whats up with this not working??

7. johnisawesome macrumors newbie

sms?

i did some search in the help but cant seem to find how to send sms messages from mail.app. im running leopard, did it lose this function?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just tried this and it worked perfectly for me. I'm running 10.4.11 and quit Mail before I tried it.

9. Britanium macrumors member

Just use your phones email address (i.e., 15551234567@host.com) - This is how I receive sms alarms on my phone.

10. Timea macrumors newbie

ical sends out two email alarms

iCal sends out two email alarms to two different emails.

There is only one me in the address book and when I set up the alarms I only use one of the emails.

This is annoying and frustrating. How can I fix this?
    Any help would be appreciated.