iCal Email Notifications

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
For some reason I set (actually many) an email reminder for iCal events and it didn't work. Is there a reason it doesnt work? Also is there a way to set them so it happens automatically x hours before an event?

Thanks alot,

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Me also

For some reason I set (actually many) an email reminder for iCal events and it didn't work. Is there a reason it doesnt work? Also is there a way to set them so it happens automatically x hours before an event?

Thanks alot,
Now that you mention it, email function is not working for me as well; may need to go to the Apple Forum.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
What do I correct so it works for me? Is there a special iCal setting, cause I came from the Apple Forum and a lot of people have my experience.
Are you running Tiger or Leopard? I'm on Tiger still.
I didn't do anything unusual, just enabled an alarm, had it send me an email 10 minutes beforehand.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Doesn't really help in a Leopard forum :rolleyes:
It isn't in the Leopard forum and no where did the OP state that this was in Leopard until the question was asked so in actual fact it was helpful.

Doesn't work for me either.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
true.

Anyway, iCal and Mail seem a bit messed up right now. For example, when I make a new To Do in Mail, it only offers me iCal Calendars from .Mac....shouldn't it list all the calendars I have? Even the local ones?

Also, if I show the To Do list in iCal, there's an option to not show completed To Dos, but whatever I pick it shows them all....

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Same Issue here

I missed a very important reminder by 3 days. It was a medical reminder that I had set up for every 3 weeks on Tiger and didnt remind me on Leopard. Thank goodness for the slight side effects of not having the medication that I realized I had missed something. Apple needs to fix this as people depend on this not just as a reminder for TV Shows or Kids Birthdays, but for more important things like medical reminders or credit card payments.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
I missed a very important reminder by 3 days. It was a medical reminder that I had set up for every 3 weeks on Tiger and didnt remind me on Leopard. Thank goodness for the slight side effects of not having the medication that I realized I had missed something. Apple needs to fix this as people depend on this not just as a reminder for TV Shows or Kids Birthdays, but for more important things like medical reminders or credit card payments.
Very true but does it work for anyone in Leopard?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
what do you mean by "ical events"

what does work for me in leopard is the appointments in the calendar itself..
settings a timely reminder (x hours before etc..) i get the usual popup box telling me..

i haven't tried the email reminder on leopard, but it worked for me on tiger anyway.. will try that when i get home from work and post back..

there are also todo reminders.. not sure if you mean those or not? i haven't really tested those in leopard i'm afraid

EDIT
The email doesn't work for me either :( DAMN!!!!

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I have the same problem

This is all over the Apple Forums, I hope it gets fixed in the next update. I missed a CC payment by a day and my wife missed her medication by 3 days. We had the notifications set up to email us reminders. They failed this time. This is really important for Apple to fix. Why have a feature that doesnt workkkkkkkkkkkkk.

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Lexus, it seems it's a Leopard bug

Someone on the Apple forums indicated that he did a single install of ICal from his leopard disk and it fixed his issue. I tried this and so did others and it did not work.

Others have indicated that Apple Care doesnt seem to be aware of this issue. But there's herds of people on the Apple forum with the same issue after they did a Leopard Clean Install or an Upgrade. Some seem to exhibit issues with all reminders, not just email.

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Use Google Calendar in the interim

I just set up a few of the email reminders I had that were important in Google Calendar and it lets just pretty much customize it just as Ical. Again, for the interim until this issue is fixed.

Calendar.google.com