iCal help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aarran89, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Aarran89 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first post so please be gentle.
    I have a 2009 Macbook running Snow Leopard, which has been my main computer since I bought it, but recently I've just bought a brand new Mac Mini, so I now have a Desktop computer, which is my main computer, my laptop is now reserved for Uni work.
    All my iCal calendars are on my snow leopard MacBook and I'd love to transfer them somehow to Lion, now I know I can just take the backed up calendar files and simply dropbox them onto my Mac mini, but I want it to work out when I put a new event into a calendar on my MacBook, it appears on my Mac Mini automatically and vice versa. iCloud doesn't exist on Snow Leopard so it's not easy, I've tried auto-syncing my calendars onto my iPhone, which is connected to iCloud, but that doesn't seem to work. Not all calendars sync onto my phone, and even less sync back onto my mac mini :(
    I guess my question is is there a way around this? It seems like sharing calendars between two Macs belonging to the same user easily is far more difficult than it should be :/
    thanks guys
    Aarran

2. vicvic30 macrumors newbie

Hmm.... as a snow leopard user, i'm also having trouble with this ical business. (are you getting the duplicate entries like I am?)

Anyway, the only way I think that you can share an ical with another computer is a moblieme account, I think that's the only one that allows web-hosted icals?

3. Aarran89 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I get duplicate entries on my iPhone, which is really strange and I don't know how to get rid of them.
    I dont want MobileMe, the process of sharing calendars should be free, surely?

4. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Is your 2009 Mac a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM? If it is, why not upgrade to Lion? It's only £21, and less than that for 4GB of RAM which will make it run much better.

If that isn't possible, or you don't want to spend the money, you could use Google calendar synching. It isn't the easiest to set up, but Google will help you find step by step guides. I used it before iCloud to synch my Windows laptop (now sold), my Macbook, and my iPhone. Worked a treat, and free.

5. Aarran89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't get Lion on my laptop yet, it's running a lot of programmes that are vital to my uni research that I don't want to lose, not in this important stage of my final year.
    I'll take a look at what google says, thanks :)

6. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

best way of sharing calendars i've found is using google calendars, i use cal dav access to link my calendars to: ical on macbook pro, calendar app on ipad, iphone 4, ipod touch (wife's) and of course web access from google. I find it really helps and if you have separate calendars, you can add users to be able to view/edit that calendar whilst keeping your own things to yourself.
    Currently i have my calendar, wife's, things both of us need to do, my scouting calendar (linked so parents of my scouts can see dates), wife's scouting calendar (linked so her parent's scouts can see dates), my work rota, and uk public hiolidays (just a subscription so not cal dav).

We can edit on any of our devices then we can check if there's anything on when trying to plan stuff, it's great