ical, iChat problems

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hi,

I just bought an used iBook couple of days ago. Ever since, I've been experiencing problems. When I click on the iCal icon in the Dock, it just bounces again and again for a minute or two, and then nothing comes up. And the same happens for iChat too. I've never ever seen these 2 apps ever since I bought this.

Anyone has any tips on what the problem/solutions could be?

Gaurav

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
What happens if you click those icons in the applications' folder, rather than in the dock? Same thing? If it works from the applications' folder, then remove the icons from the dock and replace them with the icons in your applications' folder. Hope that helps. Alternatively, you might need to reinstall those apps. Did you receive the reinstall discs with your purchase?

gsharma88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
I tried doing that from the applications folder. The exact same thing happens. Any other alternative, as I don't have the restore cds? I tried making a new user account, but that didn't help (it used to solve problems more often not in windows, maybe in a mac, it's different)

Gaurav

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Does other software run alright?
Is your system software up to date?
What version of OS X are you running?
try deleting ichat and downloading a new copy from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ichatav.html
also, if you are running anything older than OS 10.4, iCal is a free download.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ical.html

if you have 10.4 then maybe someone on here would be kind enough to send you a copy via the new and working version of iChat you hopefully just downloaded.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
gsharma88 said:
Anyone has any tips on what the problem/solutions could be?
Launch Console (it is in Applications/Utilities) and check what errors are reported in console.log and system.log files.
It might help to find out the reason those programs aren't working.