iCal icon FINALLY fixed!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I don't know if this has been mentioned, if it has, you can burn me at the stake for not using the Search button, but it seems that Apple has finally fixed the iCal icon in the dock, where it actually shows the current date, and not the 17th every single day, hooray. :p

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Great. Additional code running all the time in the Dock process just to keep the icon up to date. What's next? Mail checking for new email even when it's not running?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Can't please everyone I guess... I like it though.
It was, at least partially, tongue in cheek. Assuming Apple only generate the graphic & change the icon when the date actually changes then this will cost almost no CPU time. My worry is that the technology that enables this (some sort of Dock plugin architecture) could easily be used for stuff that sucks loads of CPU.

Ariez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
i actually never bothered to notice. When they changed it? I always thought it shows the current date. :eek:

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
i actually never bothered to notice. When they changed it? I always thought it shows the current date. :eek:
Nope, it only showed the current date when the program was open. If you didn't have it open, if would continually show the 17th, which I believe was the day of the month OS X was originally released.

They've finally fixed it now.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Nope, it only showed the current date when the program was open. If you didn't have it open, if would continually show the 17th, which I believe was the day of the month OS X was originally released.

They've finally fixed it now.
Not OSX, iCal (which was not in the original OSX).

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I like it as well, but how does this affect those of us who like to use custom icons?
hmm...I was wondering about that too...
but candybar has a new version to be released and hopefully that will be possible.
on the other hand I think I'd rather have the date updated in the dock than a custom icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.