ical inconsistent data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pdg, Dec 24, 2007.

1. pdg macrumors newbie

Help please. I sync three computers with ical. Two work fine. The third has always been fine til recently. Now I get the message "last sync failed because of inconsistent data". I have tried everything, including replacing all from .mac, deleting calendars etc. Any ideas.

2. napata macrumors newbie

ical sync fail

I have the same problem.. I have re installed leopard several times, removed syncServices and all manner of trysts with .Mac ... all to no effect.

Napata

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just a quick comment...

You've "re-installed Leopard several times" --- why would this be necessary for one application failure? Please explain why you beat a fly with a hammer?

Are all the versions of iCal the same on each platform (or the latest)?

If you subscribe to calendars:

I've found that certain subscribed calendars don't work on all versions - as a matter of fact many of the public ones downright suck. So I'd turn off a few and test by process of elimination, assuming you've checked that each calendar subscription meets the minimum requirements for each iCal.

iCal isn't perfect - I've edited entries and suddenly all of them are locked out, then I simply quit/load and all is well again.

-jim

4. pdg thread starter macrumors newbie

ical inconsistent data

Thanks for the suggestions about subscribed calendars. I finally, a couple of days ago, managed to get things working again, ... though I am not quite sure why, since I know I did all this when the problem first arose.
    I reset .mac from my own power book after manually making sure my powerbook had everything I wanted in it from the other two computers. I then reset the second second computer from .mac (the computer where ical had not been working) and nothing happened.
    I then tried "merging" the second (with some fear) and it clearly downloaded the new material (since it asked me to accept thousands of changes) but still nothing actually appeared in the ical. I then simply did the same thing a second time and it worked. ;)
    Since then all three computers have been working.
    Very strange, but at the moment all's well that ends well. I wish you luck.

5. napata macrumors newbie

iCal - sudenly works again

I followed the suggestion of merging data rather than replacing and it now works?!?
    FYI - the reason I reinstalled was i) some one from .Mac said that a possible problem was that I opened iCal before resyncing and that Leopard had a slightly different form for addresses etc ii) diary is essential for me and I need the diary to be the same across several machines i.e. office and travelling laptop.
    iii) I had just upgraded to Leopard so reinstalling had few risks attached and I had yet to update data and install my usual applications.

regards
    Dapo

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Okay, I see why you tried re-installing. I come from the Windows world where such "troubleshooting" is commonplace, and since my original Tiger install and eventual upgrade to Leopard was both times easy, fast and flawless - I always recoil in horror when someone posts that about OS X. No offense intended, and glad you all found the problem and worked it out. Two other members of my family use iMac's and we might enable .Mac one day, so this information was useful to read and very interesting.

Happy Holidays and take care.

-jim