iCal issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VladM, Nov 9, 2009.

1. VladM macrumors regular

Have a very strange issue with iCal, and it has survived a clean install as well (I did get my stuff back with Time Machine though).

Basically, when creating an event in iCal, I want to email invites to attendees. Now, the problem is that when I start typing the email address in, let's say I want to type in "john@email.com", as soon as I type in the second character, the first one will be overwritten with an "a", i.e. it will become "aohn@email.com". Then I have to go back, delete the character and put a new one in. This happens every time.

Why?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Perhaps a corrupt iCal preferences file (plist)?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This issue could be caused by several things.

1. A corrupt preference (.plist) file.
    2. Language settings that don't match your normal input method.
    3. An errant global keyboard shortcut, for instance, triggered by a text macro application.
    4. Some combination of one or more of these.

4. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies - question is how do I fix it? Delete the .plist? Where is it situated?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The file you want is in /Users/username/Library/Preferences and is called com.apple.iCal.plist. Move this elsewhere (while iCal isn't running), then launch iCal. If the problem is solved, you can safely delete the file you moved. If not, then quit iCal and put the file back, as it wasn't causing the problem.

6. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Tried this, still the same thing. Also eliminated the possibility of it being an external keyboard.

What else could it be?