ICal Leopard: editing window vs. inspector box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CaseyKey, Jan 20, 2008.

1. CaseyKey macrumors newbie

One feature of ICal on Leopard I don't like is the seeming loss of the editing window on Tiger that slid out of the right...when entering/changing details for an appointment.

Instead, we have an inspector box you have to click into, then click "edit" to make changes.

Is there a function I'm overlooking that allows the appearance of the editing window? I hate the inspector box change.

Thanks for input.

2. bernardt macrumors newbie

I agree with that! It's more difficult to view the information now that it was before... I use the laptop on a desk in the passenger seat.. I pull over and get the info.... used to be able to do it quickly while on the phone....now it's a cumbersome process. Did Microsoft invade the software teams at Apple?

Frankly, it's all a moot point now. All my ical's got wiped out as Leopard has bled my memory down to zero and slowly data is being lost...:mad:

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Suggest you take a minute or two giving apple feedback on this issue.

I know I have submitted it about 4 times, usually when i was editting/adding multiple calendars and got really annoyed at it.

This is a whole other issue and you really should address this, sounds like maybe harddrive failure.

4. bernardt macrumors newbie

My first thought was a bad HD. Just took into MacConnection Friday and they checked it. Could not find any issues. I've deleted abut 8 gig and it still bleeds down to zero Kb on the memory. thanks for the input tho.

All of the problems started after the install of leopard. I have standardized my small company on Mac's and we have 2 machines with Leopard as a trial. We where going to be installing on the other 3 laptops this week but now the G5 is starting to exhibit some of the same strange glitches as my iBook G4 started with..

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Trying not to get too off topic but you could use WhatSize or DiskInventoryX to see what is taking up the space, if it bleeds down slowly it might be a run away log file somewhere.

re: iCal it gets really annoying for me when I have subscribed to lots of sports calendars which tend to have large ammounts of details added to them such as the result last year etc. etc. if I want to scan through the coming months worth of sport then I have to do a lot of double clicking on each event. :(

6. bernardt macrumors newbie

thanks for the help. sorry, i was getting off topic.

I agree with your comments about iCal's. It's pretty frustrating trying to see the info in the iCal from my F1 cal now... hadn't realized that until I just went back on the g5 and checked.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Oddly enough the F1 calendar I am subscribed to is the one I was particularly referring to, which one do you use, I use this one. It contains a lot of information and is very annoying with the current iCal.

BTW there is a F1 thread

8. bernardt macrumors newbie

I use Gareth's F1 2007 iCal. I've been using it for a couple of years and it's the best one I have found. Also list Practice times, qual's and race info includes last year winners, lap times etc.

http://ical.mac.com/gbouch/F1_2007.ics

The detail is amazing:

Sepang - Circuit info
    Opened: 2004
    Circuit Length: 5.45km
    Permanent road course
    Clockwise
    Turns: 14, 7 left and 7 right
    Total capacity: 200 000
    main grandstand: 29.5
    grandstands arena: 20,60000
    temporary and natural stands: 150,000

www.icsh.sh.cn/en/
    ONLINE GRAPHICS

Circuit map and 2004 info
    http://www.antdavidson.com/images/04general/china04.gif
    2004 grid
    http://www.antdavidson.com/images/04grids/china_Grid_2004.gif
    2004 lapchart
    http://www.antdavidson.com/images/04lapcharts/china_Lap_Chart_2004.gif
    2005 lapchart
    http://www.antdavidson.com/images/05lapcharts/china_Lap_Chart_2005.gif
    2006 lapchart
    http://www.antdavidson.com/images/06lapcharts/china_lapchart.gif

Now I have discovered another problem in iCal. As i went to copy the NOTE for this to paste here it would NOT scroll/copy up... had to do it in two copy keystrokes:eek:

Forza Minardi!

9. CaseyKey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for Apple ICal comment link

Thanks xUKHCx for posting that Apple ICal comment link. I've made my thoughts clear to Apple.

The repeat double-clicking of the inspector box for my ICal calendar entries is getting REALLY annoying, and I'm only on Day 3 of Leopard.

It's almost enough to drive me back to my old Palm Pilot just for calendars and list management.

10. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

iCal alternatives? ;) I'm trying to find something that was as simple and easy-to-use as iCal Tiger. :confused:

11. rogerco macrumors newbie

Is there any way of uninstalling iCal v3 (Leopard) and replacing it with iCal v2 (Tiger)
    I have Tiger on a MacPro and the disks for it, and Leopard on a new MacBook. Is it possible to extract just the iCal app from the MacPro and use that?

Not only was the v2 interface far better but it is also capable of publishing to a remote server running Webcalandar, which iCal 3 will not do.

RogerCO

12. soulatrium macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that there are some core-level changes that make it virtually impossible to run iCal 2 in Leopard. The app may technically run, but all of the background mumbo-jumbo that makes it works with the rest of your system will probably be broken. If we're lucky, 10.5.2 will include some iCal usability updates...