iCal (Lion): Merge Calendars?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rdav, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rdav macrumors 6502

rdav

Running iCal 5.0.1 on Lion 10.07.02
    Have too many Calendars in iCal and need to get rid of some. Is there a way to merge or consolidate a few of them under one name? The only other option that I can find would delete all the old appointments (going back some years), which I do NOT want to do. This probably has a simple answer, but can find no clue in the Help section.
    Thanks.

2. steveklein macrumors newbie

How to Merge iCal calendars in Lion

This worked for me:

First, select only the calendar you want to delete, then go to File -> Export to export the events from that calendar.

Then delete the calendar.

Finally, drag the export file onto the calendar you want its events merged into.

For example, if you have two calendars named home and home2, and you want to merge all the events from home2 into home:
    1. Select only home2, and export to a file on your desktop.
    2. Delete home2.
    3. Drag the export file onto home, and all the events will be added to home.

Obviously it's a good idea to back up your data before you do this!

3. joshfree macrumors newbie

When I tried this in Mountain Lion, I got a message saying that my alarms would be removed because they opened other applications. Well, yeah, they do. I have a lot of reminders (technically events) that send me emails when they occur. I want to retain that type of alarm, but move the events to a different calendar (by exporting, then importing them, I assume).

Anybody know a way to keep my email alarms intact?