Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I love iCal. In fact, I have it sync'd with my iPod Touch and iPad through Google's Calendar...

I see Google Calendar as the middle man, kinda like the highway that connects all my 3 Apple devices (for free).

But thats besides the point..

Whenever I add an event, it's either through iCal on my MBP, iPod touch or iPad.

But whenever I put in a location, it always gives me an exclamation point..whether I list something like, "USC" or "12945 Quinn Ave. Hollywood, Ca"

I'd really appreciate some shedding of the light on the matter. :confused::p

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
It only appears when you are editing or creating the event but as soon as you press done and the event is saved, the event should appear normal, including location

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It only appears when you are editing or creating the event but as soon as you press done and the event is saved, the event should appear normal, including location

Unfortunately even with an event create a while ago that took place 10/1, it gives me the same exclamation point, including in the invitees pane:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-28 at 4.30.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-28 at 4.30.27 PM.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 140

tillyb

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
It means the item wasn't updated / synched

I had the same question. Google led me to your post here, which doesn't really have an answer yet :)

But then I found the answer here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iCal/3.0/en/symbls.html. Even though the info is for iCal 3, it still is relevant for ical 4.x as far as I can tell.

For me, the exclamation mark goes away after a bit, when it's updated or synched to my iphone and laptop. I guess if there were problems with synchronization, the exclamation mark would remain.

FWIW, I tried using gmail's calendar as a "highway" like you describe to synchronize all my iCals for free, but I always had trouble with that. Now I'm paying for mobileme, but really want to figure out how to use gmail's calendar just for synching iCal. I am not using mobileme for anything but ical synchronization, so it's pretty expensive for just that :-(

Hope this helps you!

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I had the same question. Google led me to your post here, which doesn't really have an answer yet :)

But then I found the answer here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iCal/3.0/en/symbls.html. Even though the info is for iCal 3, it still is relevant for ical 4.x as far as I can tell.

For me, the exclamation mark goes away after a bit, when it's updated or synched to my iphone and laptop. I guess if there were problems with synchronization, the exclamation mark would remain.

FWIW, I tried using gmail's calendar as a "highway" like you describe to synchronize all my iCals for free, but I always had trouble with that. Now I'm paying for mobileme, but really want to figure out how to use gmail's calendar just for synching iCal. I am not using mobileme for anything but ical synchronization, so it's pretty expensive for just that :-(

Hope this helps you!

If I remember correctly this is how I went about using Gcal to sync all my iDevices.

As for the "!" situation I think it could very well be caused by Gcal.

I do see myself however getting MobileMe in the future when I have an iPhone for the tracking feature, and to keep all my devices in sync. Along with wanting to possibly finally use iWeb. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.