iCal Not Displaying Birthdays and Holidays

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reliablerick, Feb 19, 2016.

1. reliablerick macrumors newbie

I have been using multiple calendars on a Mac Book running El Capitan but recently iCal stopped displaying birthdays and US holiday. It seems like anything that comes from outside iCal doesn't work, but anything created inside works fine. All of the calendars I use are enabled as always. I've tried unenabling and reenabling, but no luck.

Oddly, I have iCal synced with my Google calendar, and everything displays there as expected, as well as on my iPhone 5. Also, printing the calendar includes the missing events. It only seems to be missing when looking at the calendar on the Mac.

I'm thinking there might be some data corruption somewhere and some file needs to be refreshed, or something like that. It's doesn't seem to be a settings issue, and I've found nothing on the web that resembles my problem.

Any ideas?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Seems line it could be format issues between Goole Calender. You could exsparment with different iCal formats.

3. reliablerick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean by iCal formats.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Look at the way GMail formatted their date formats and other settings then setup iCal to have the same format!

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I use Google for my contacts and calendars and both the "Holidays in United States" and "Contacts' birthdays" calendars show up under the account heading in the Mac Calendar app. This is the case for both Mavericks and El Capitan.

6. reliablerick, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

reliablerick thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not using Google calendar to enter events. Only iCal, which works properly. It's automatically generated events that used to work but stopped working recently. Something has broken and I am not sure what.

--- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my description. Birthdays in the contacts list on my Mac Book, as well as Holidays which is a Mac feature, are not populating in iCal but only on the screen. If I print the calendar, these events appear.

The only connection to Gmail in this issue is that these events will appear in my Google calendar, when they don't in iCal. I'm not sending any data from Google calendar to iCal.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

8. reliablerick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, but I don't think this has anything to do with google.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Google is notoriously known for changing things on a regular basis. Google wants their users to use their web sites to access and hate people using other connections. So check with Google settings to see if something changed!

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Google syncs fine with OS X "Calendar" (it hasn't been called "iCal" for a while).

There's a setting in Calendar>General>Preferences to "Show Birthdays calendar". That is the OS X version of the birthdays calendar and the data is retrieved from OS X Contacts no matter what service the contacts are synced with. I leave it unchecked as I am using the Google version of that calendar which shows up under the Google account heading.

Is the Google calendar you're dealing with part of a Google account that has been added to the "Internet Accounts" section of "System Preferences"? If so, and you do not see a calendar called "Contacts' birthdays" (or something similar) in the calendar list of OS X Calendar and under your Google account heading, then you need to check the Google calendar website to see if the calendar exists there. I don't know how it couldn't, as I am unable to delete mine.

11. reliablerick thread starter macrumors newbie

I will check all of the settings you mention here, but the part in bold is exactly my problem. That is what is not working.