Ical or Entourage - sharing calendars

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sands, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sands macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wondering if you could help me. Working in an office where we'd like to share a calendar which we can all see and edit but keep some of the other calendars private. On macs and no microsoft exchange server. Any advice? Can either use Entourage or Ical.

Thanks,
    Sandra

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you happen to have a Mac with Mac OS X Server on it handy? If you do, then this is very easy, especially with Leopard Server. All that's needed is to configure iCal Server to share only the desired calendars.

If you don't, then... I believe it's still doable but it's a lot harder.

3. sands thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We don't have the Mac OSX Server I'm afraid. Would you be able to help me with the more difficult way of doing it? I can't believe there's not a simple answer to sharing and editing a calendar between two macs!

Thanks again,

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Step #1 is to get the open source Calendar Server from Mac OS Forge, here. Unfortunately, no binary packages of it exist yet, so you'll have to compile it from source to get it running.

Step #2 is to configure it, once it's set up. Directions for how to do that are on the same page as above/

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can find it in iCal under Calendar > Publish. For more information, search iCal's help for "publish".

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

These are really handy, but they don't let you edit the published calendar. :(

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, that's the catch. You may be able to find a third-party app that plays like iCal Server. I haven't looked through the list, but MacUpdate may be the place to start.

8. sands thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks, yes the publishing doesn't allow us to edit which is a problem. I'm not quite sure how to download that open source calendar thing as it looks really complicated.

Do you know much about caldav? I'm not sure I know much about it, but would this work?

Thanks again for all your help, really do appreciate it!

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

CalDAV is a protocol for enabling this very task. It needs a server to make it work, though. Here's a page you might find useful: List of CalDAV server implementations