iCal problems with Mail and Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paul73schmidt, May 4, 2009.

1. paul73schmidt macrumors newbie

Up until now I have been using Entourage as my main email app on my PowerBook. Recently my company has switched over to using Mail. In addition, they are all subscribed to iCal and linked through Mail.

I deleted my Entourage account and opened a Mail account. I also created a new calendar on iCal with our private server listing to publish to co-workers.

I have no problem adding new events to my calendar, or seeing other workers calendars. The problem comes when I receive invites from people and try to accept or decline. Whenever I click on the icon to accept or reject an invite, it opens Entourage, not in Mail. I then get an "Entourage" calendar created on iCal that no one can see.

I went into preferences in Mail...and selected Mail (2.1.3) as the default and it still opens Entourage if I try to accept or reject an invitation.

Do I need to delete Entourage from my system entirely? Whats the deal? i have been trouble shooting this for hours and unfortunately, I have to use Mail as my email app with this company.

Any ideas?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no such thing as a Mail account or an Entourage account. Mail accesses POP3, IMAP, MobileMe, and Exchange. Entourage accesses POP3, IMAP, and Exchange. Neither list is intended to be comprehensive. At any rate, you may simultaneously access most email providers using either of these clients or Thunderbird, Eudora, pine, Outlook, Outlook Express, or any number of other clients.

Calendar notifications open in Entourage by default because you have calendar notifications associated with Entourage. Standard MacOS X techniques can be used to change this behavior:
    • Click on a calendar event.
    • Select File>Get Info.
    • Select the iCal from the Opens with: popup menu.
    • Click the Change All... button.

3. paul73schmidt thread starter macrumors newbie

Calendar notifications open in Entourage by default because you have calendar notifications associated with Entourage. Standard MacOS X techniques can be used to change this behavior:
    • Click on a calendar event.
    • Select File>Get Info.
    • Select the iCal from the Opens with: popup menu.
    • Click the Change All... button.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks, but there is no "Get info" when I right click on a posted calendar event. The closest thing is "show info" which I cannot click on whether its a posted event, my own event, etc.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is a system-level function. As a general proposition, Mac users do not use third-party apps for system functions of this sort; we use the Finder. Save your calendar notification to the Desktop. Then follow my previous instructions.