ical question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emegmac, Aug 18, 2007.

1. emegmac macrumors regular

I have ical set up to track my bills due dates as repeat every month. I wave them all set up with a yellow color. I was wandering if there was a way I could change the color once they are paid. It wont let me just change color on one event without changing the color for every entry the rest of the year. I like to just look and see by colors whats been paid and not been paid.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, the easiest way I found to do this is as follows.

Right click (ctrl+click) on the event, select Duplicate. This will create a copy of the event at exactly the same time. Change the color of the copied event and delete the original event.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it an option to make them tasks (to dos)? That way you can click the check box when they're done. The only way you can have the color of instances of a recurring event be different is going to be to detach them, and if you consistently detach each one, that's going to get messy...

You can access the to do panel by clicking the thumbtack icon in the lower right; you can make new to dos from the File menu. Make sure you adjust the preferences for To Dos to your liking also. :)

4. emegmac thread starter macrumors regular

5. emegmac thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with the to-do list is they dont show up on the day their do, I dont think. I'd rather have colors. Duplicate and delete works, although it shouldn't be that harrd

6. bossfn macrumors newbie

I realize this is an old thread, but I was having the same problem. I just want to make different events on the same calendar different colors. It should be as simple as picking a new color -- but it isn't.

So, since I really only have 1 calendar, I've decided to go the route of adding most events as a new calendar. This sort of layers your calendar. I have a "pay day" calendar, mortgage payments, car payments, holidays, etc. Now they're all different colors, and you can quickly toggle them off/on in the left bar of iCal.

In your case, you could simply have a "paid" and "unpaid" calendar setup. Then, after you pay the bill, move it to the "paid" calendar -- but only that one instance, not the entire recurring item.