iCal shared calendar question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigjnyc, May 4, 2009.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

So i'm looking to set up a calendar in iCal for me and my fiancee so we can keep track of our busy schedules and keep in sync. ideally what i'd like is to set up a calendar that I can add things to and so can she, that we can sync between our iphones and macs.

Here's what we have
    she has an iphone 3g and a alu macbook

I have an iphone 3g and a alu macbook pro

1 mobileme account under my name.

from searching this is what i've gathered so far:
    I can create the calendar in iCal, then publish it using my mobileme account then have her subscribe to it in her iCal.... by doing this she should be able to sync it to her iphone every time she connects it to her macbook and performs a sync in itunes

I will have it pushed to my iphone with mobileme

so my question is can she make changes and add things on the calendar as a subscriber? or do all changes and additions have to be done by my in my ical or mobileme website?

2. jgeist1 macrumors newbie

I don't believe a subscriber can make changes to your calendar.

However, I will tell you what I do... which may or may not work for you.

I have a MobileMe account, 2 macs, and 2 iPhones (mine and my wifes). I have an iCal calendar that is set to sync through MobileMe. I set up the MobileMe account on my phone to sync Contacts, Mail, Calendar, etc... Then I set up MY MobileMe account my wife's phone also, but only selected sync Calendar. Basically use the same account on both phones...

When I update something on the Calendar from the MobileMe website, it gets pushed to both computers and both phones. I actually have multiple calendars... Joint activities, My Schedule, Her Schedule, Movie Schedule, Birthday Schedule, etc... My wife will typically add events to her calendar, but I get the benefit of it showing up on my phone also.

The downside is she could go in and turn on the syncing of other features... contacts, e-mail, etc... But she doesn't really have a reason to, and I'm not hiding anything anyway, so its not a concern for me.

Hope this helps

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I dont really have anything to hide either but say she does turn on contact syncin by mistake one day wont that add all my contacts on her phone or replace her contacts with mine? that could get really messy for her.

4. jgeist1 macrumors newbie

If by mistake, you mean...going to Settings..Mail...Clicking the MobileMe Account... Sliding the setting for Contacts...Then Confirming that you want to Sync Contacts and it will remove current contacts on the phone...

Yes, she could do it by mistake

5. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 603

bigjnyc

lol yeah i guess it is a far stretch. Thanks for all your help