Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

city.girl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
It looks as if "subscription" calendars will not push and you can't "sync" via iTunes and "push" at the same time so you lose your subscriptions on your iPhone if you use "push". Am I wrong? Does anyone have push working for subscribed iCal calendars?

TheQuestion

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Location is relative, no?
This appears to be the case. I've tried everything I can think of. When I turn off events syncing and pushing in mobileme, the subscribed calendars come back, but then of course the only way I can sync MY events is to connect with the USB cable and launch iTunes. Very disappointing.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
it's officially not working.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1213

Suxor. Since 1998 I have always had some device; a Palm, phones, iPods, etc. that has U.S. holidays. Now I have to give up my holiday cal subscription. Welcome to MobileMeat.

*EDIT* seems like maybe they don't intend to keep it that way forever...from the link above...

"Syncing to an iPhone/iPod touch, or with a Windows-based PC

This article will be updated as more information becomes available."

huskydsl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
calendar sync

I have my mac at home, my PC at work (via exchange), and my iphone all communicating. If you look in iTunes and read the screen under the info tab it will tell you which application is controlling what part.

For example, my contacts just says:
Contacts.png

For my Calendars it says:
Calendars.png

I have birthdays turned on as a subscription from the birthdays attached to my contacts. They are getting synced to mobile me automatically via my macs system prefs>MobileMe>Synchronize with MobileMe "automatically"

This sends the calendar update to MobileMe which is then Synced back to my exchange server. Exchange then pushes to the iphone. How convoluted is that? Anyway, the PC version of MobileMe only syncs every hour (as best I can tell) so best case scenario is about an hour and a couple minutes to get it to propagate across all you devices. HOWEVER... right now it doesn't seem to be working fully. The calendar is created (in this case the subscribed birthday calendar) on my iphone and on mobile me but none of the events are populating into the calendar. I Just know Apple is feverishly working on these refinements for us :) ! I still LOVE my apple stuff. I mean, really, could you ever even get close to this functionality on a Windows device? When was the last time a windows machine ever played well with anything but another windows machine?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
dunno if they just fixed subscribed calendars, or if what I just did is a workaround, but I exported my holidays cal to the desktop, then deleted it in iCal, then reimported it, and now it syncs with MobileMe and is pushed to the iPhone.

robMaurizi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Yup, that's effectively the workaround. Holidays are easy since they tend to not really change over time. Export the subscribed version, save it to your desktop, then import it as a real calendar and it'll sync nicely.

Birthdays can go the same way, but then you need to make sure you re-import upon updating your address book. I was actually surprised to realize (even though it had been staring me in the face the whole time) that birthdays were a subscribed calendar and not just a regular local .ics file. Should be easy enough to write an applescript that does that automagically though.

dunno if they just fixed subscribed calendars, or if what I just did is a workaround, but I exported my holidays cal to the desktop, then deleted in iCal, the reimported it, and now it syncs with MobileMe and is pushed to the iPhone.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I can't get mine from me.com to my iPhone.. grrr. I want birthdays on my iPhone.. daaaaamnit!

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
This is a big problem for me. I subscribe to my work calendar (it's not exchange based), so I'm hoping Apple get this fixed soon. For now, I've switched off push for my calendar.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
dunno if they just fixed subscribed calendars, or if what I just did is a workaround, but I exported my holidays cal to the desktop, then deleted it in iCal, then reimported it, and now it syncs with MobileMe and is pushed to the iPhone.

Nice workaround, thanks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.