iCal sync with google calendar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marrzie, May 15, 2011.

1. marrzie macrumors regular

I have 2 factor authentication on my gmail and it seems to be standing in the way of my synching the 2 calendars. I have google calendar all set up and want to sync to ical on my macbook air. When I type username and password it say it found the account but cannot connect. I am assuming its the 2 factor preventing me. Any tips on how to get this to work?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Hmm, try removing the two step protection, get it working, then reinstall it? I only have one step currently so I don't have any problems. Get back to me if you get it working :)

3. marrzie thread starter macrumors regular

No luck yet. I have tried a couple of how tos found at gmail help and faq site but no luck yet. If I get it I will post a how to here.

4. jljue macrumors regular

I don't remember where in your Google account, but you can create a password for an application, such as iCal, iMail, your iPhone, or other application or device that you want to access your 2-step verification account. You type in the application that you want to grant access, and then Google returns a randomly generated password that you have the once instance to enter into your program. I remember having to set this up on my iPhone and for applications on my Mac when I switched to 2-step verification.

5. marrzie thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I have used it before but wasnt sure it would work here. Ill give it a go and report if successful. Ty.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well.. because I don't know, why are you trying to use the application in particular anyway? But one workaround I just thought of would be to create an application that ran Gmail itself, that way you could load it and access your email that way.

Fluid is something I use. It allows you to create a small application from a web and launch it in it's own little minimalistic browser. I use this for Facebook, Twitter, and Google Voice.

It's free for basic use so try it out and see if you like it :)

7. PerryGuy macrumors newbie

Problem solved (I hope)

I had a similar problem syncing Google Calendar with iCal - it would prompt me for the password every few seconds and then upon entering the new app specific password it would say there was an error. I entered the app specific password into "Mail, Calendar and Contacts" under settings after which iCal prompted me for the password one more time and I force quit it and started it up again and ten minutes later it's fine.