iCal sync with my wife's computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayleishman, Jun 1, 2009.

1. jayleishman macrumors newbie

Howdy

Ok I am trying to to do a simple task but it frustrates the hell out of me to figure it out.

Goal-

I use an iMac and she uses a macbook.

I want to see her calendar and her see mine. I would also like to allow her to edit my calendar and her to mine.

I want to sync with Google Calendar as well.

I'd prefer to try to do it free but I know there are some apps that allow me to do it.

I've seen Busysync and spanningsync. I did have mobile me a while back when it was new and have lost faith in it. I also dont want to buy an account for my wife who doesnt use an iPhone.

Please help... if you have a simialr situation... would love to hear how you did it.

2. eatbacon macrumors regular

Here is a link to the directions to get google calendar working with iCal.

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358#ical

It will do everything you need. Sync between the two computers and both can edit. You can set up each computer to access a different google account and use gcal sharing to share the calendar between the two (make sure to enable edit access to the shared calendar or it won't work) or you can just have both computers access the same google account.

There are a couple of downsides... alarms don't sync well, so if you use those extensively you might want to set up a default alarm in gcal. And it is slightly more painful to move a calendar item from one calendar to another than with standard ical calendars. Not a big deal, but not as slick as it could be. Otherwise it works great.