iCal syncing problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gangof4, May 9, 2012.

1. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

I'm having fits trying to sync my iphone 4 with the iCal program on my imac. I'm using 10.6.8 on my imac (May 2011 build) so I don't have access to the cloud (and don't want to upgrade to Lion.) When I sync my iphone calendar i (lose any entries later than the previous six weeks on my phone (though they are stored on my imac) and then I get repeated entries for each event on my iphone (like having a 2:00 p.m. appointment listed five times on my iphone.

What am I doing wrong?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'm assuming you mean that you don't have access to "iCloud" but you are on the internet with your iMac.

If it's only the calendar that's giving you fits I'd suggest using a Gmail account for that. If you're not using Gmail for email, just start a new account and use it for just calendar.

3. gangof4 thread starter macrumors member

gangof4

iCal syncing problems

Brian,

Yes, I have Online access on my imac. A colleage at work with a macbook running Lion says that she has a cloud icon under her powerbook system preferences and running Snow Leopard I do not have it on my imac.

I can get calendar enteries I punch into my iphone to show up on my iMac's calendar, but for some reason I loose data older than six weeks on my phone's calendar (i.e., calendar entries from March, February, etc. though they do remain on my Mac.) The other problem is that I may have a calendar entry on my phone that says "8:00 a.m. Meeting in the conference room" and after syncing my phone once or so to the imac my iphone calendar then says:

8:00 a.m. Meeting in the conference room

I don't want to use Google. I can't believe that I cannot sync an ipohone to an imac. Whatever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.:D

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Might be a good reason to upgrade to Lion. iCloud syncs all my contacts & calendars like magic.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

My experience is that users have more problems syncing contacts and calendars with the cable and iTunes than they do when using some sort of "cloud" solution. Make sure there isn't any other calendar application on your mac that is also syncing to iCal, although that doesn't sound like the problem.

If your objections are Google specific then you could consider another service.

Six weeks back is a strange cutoff date for events...the possible settings on my phone are 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and All Events.